Keyboard Won't Pair at Setup

Discussion in 'iMac' started by telebump, Dec 18, 2012.

1. telebump macrumors newbie

So incredibly frustrating. BTO 27" finally arrives today and the keyboard won't pair. Tried my old wireless keyboard from my 2009 24" and it will "pair" but won't recognize the 8 digit key when I try to type it in (it basically doesn't regster the keystrokes). Called Apple Care and they basically said bring it in to a store. Anyone have any recommendations on alternatives that would save me from going to the store which is an hour away?

2. cosmicjoke macrumors 6502

make sure it didn't somehow try to pair with some other bluetooth apparatus, have occasionally had my mbp interfere with pairing process of my mac pro... deleting entry out of system preferences/bluetooth and turning off bluetooth on mbp would allow it to pair properly with mac pro

3. maccerdoodle macrumors newbie

I had the same problem with my new mac, so I attached a wired keyboard to it and went into system preferences-bluetooth and found the bluetooth box was checked but the discoverable box was not...

4. telebump thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks - the wired keyboard trick worked. Now I need to call Apple and see if they will comp me the $54 I spent for it at Best Buy. At least it saved me from the trip to the Apple Store. And BTW, the new setup (maxed out BTO 27") is amazing! Thanks for the recommendation!

5. Hairlesswookiee macrumors member

Wow. That would be unnaceptable for me because the closest Apple store is over 6 hours away in any direction. Good to see you got it working though, and I'll have to remember that in case I ever experience this problem. Lucily I have a cheap $6 USB keyboard sitting in the closet.