Keyboard

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by dino26, Apr 10, 2010.

1. dino26 macrumors 6502

Im curious the keyboard for the ipad has a charging dock ...does this dock clip onto the keyboard or are they both attached together.

2. BmoreDrumGuy macrumors regular

3. dino26 thread starter macrumors 6502

4. jenzo macrumors member

the keyboard is so limited in functionality right now its not worth the purchase! you cant tab, arrow up/down ( in email for example ) or do anything other than type out the content and use your fingers to hit send etc. i know its early and i hope apple implements these basic features next update. honestly the keyboard is a joke in its current implementation.

-jenzo

5. Pared macrumors 65816

That's disappointing to hear. So the FN buttons don't do anything either? Music and so forth?

6. freddy425 macrumors regular

While I don't have my iPad yet just throwing this info out their...

I found this review very helpful (not that I needed any convincing ;) I just like reading as much as I can about the iPad until I get mine.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews/2010/04/ipad-review.ars/

If you go to the 5th page they discuss using the bluetooth keyboard (I know thats not what the thread was started for) but may be at least some food for thought...
    http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews/2010/04/ipad-review.ars/5

and also iLounge has a review of the iPad Keyboard Dock

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/reviews/entry/apple-ipad-keyboard-dock/

just thought I'd share some info I found

7. kepner macrumors 6502

Tab (and Shift-Tab) works in Safari to switch between form fields. And the arrow keys work to move the insertion point when editing text.

8. jenzo macrumors member

its really a huge bummer guys. the special keys that take you to the home screen and also the search key ( instant spotlight ) let you input text like say i search for mail to try and open my mail app quickly. mail icon pops up and i CANT EVEN ARROW DOWN TO OPEN IT. it feels very rushed as i am sure it was. there are very few developers who have implemented it so an app like citrix receiver doesnt recognize the keyboard at all. i was hoping for so much more but i guess just like the vga to dock connector i was left with a why in the world did i get this feeling! thank god an apple store is near my house :)

FYI i love the ipad so im not a hater!

9. Merlosso macrumors 6502

Merlosso

I have the keyboard dock and I like it. The limitations mentioned above are true and hopefully will be addressed in future OS updates, but I am glad I have it now. It puts the iPad at a nice angle and if you're typing up a document in Pages, it is far, far preferable to using the on screen keyboard. I had to write a 4 page paper for a class and I used the iPad and keyboard dock. Having the arrow keys are great, and being able to hold down shift and arrow to highlight text is really helpful. The only time I touched the screen was to quickly move the curser to someplace that would take too long to arrow to.

Everyone has different needs and the keyboard dock does what I need it to.

To answer the original question, yes, you can plug the USB cable into the back of the keyboard dock and plug it into the wall charger.

10. solideliquid macrumors 6502

solideliquid

Do you think the keyboard dock would work if you concurrently used the Apple ipad case?