Keyboards and Mice for iMac

tubeexperience

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 17, 2016
The Apple keyboard and especially the Apple mouse that came with iMac are failing at an astonishing rate.

We have been replace them with keyboards and mice from old PCs that are being retired.

Anyway, the boss said that these old keyboards and mice are "disgusting", so we are replacing them with new units for the upcoming year.

I have been looking at the AmazonBasics Wired Keyboard and Wired Mouse.

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Wired-Keyboard-Mouse-Bundle/dp/B01N27QVPA

It's $99.99 for a 10-pack.

We are looking to buy at least 50 units (probably a lot more).

Are there any alternatives that's just as good, but cheaper, or better at the same price?

tubeexperience

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 17, 2016
There is a keyboard and mouse set for $8.99 and they state that it is Mac and PC compatible
https://www.amazon.com/Verbatim-Slimline-Keyboard-Accessibility-Compatible/dp/B017M4J1BU/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1529463092&sr=1-1&keywords=mac+wired+keyboard&th=1
[doublepost=1529463552][/doublepost]Here is a link with several other Mac compatible keyboards and mice. Some of them look to be designed for Mac
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_st_price-asc-rank?keywords=mac+wired+keyboard&rh=n:172282,k:mac+wired+keyboard&qid=1529463086&sort=price-asc-rank
Some of these have quantity limits.

The Verbatim Slimline Keyboard and Mouse only allow 3 to be purchased.

The AmazonBasics Wired Keyboard and Wired Mouse, 10-Pack has a 20 limit (20 x 10-Pack = 200 sets total), which is around the quantity we are looking for.

jerwin

Suspended
Jun 13, 2015
say goodbye to two USB ports.

function key compatibility is really useful on a mac keyboard.

buy one for testing purposes-- buy in bulk AFTER it meets your approval.

leekil

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2009
I question how good any keyboard and mouse for $10 or under can be. Especially the keyboard may be very non-ergonomic and therefore especially problematic.

borgranta

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2018
Some of these have quantity limits.

The Verbatim Slimline Keyboard and Mouse only allow 3 to be purchased.

The AmazonBasics Wired Keyboard and Wired Mouse, 10-Pack has a 20 limit (20 x 10-Pack = 200 sets total), which is around the quantity we are looking for.
I seen Mac compatible wired keyboards in my local Walmart though I can not remember the price.

tubeexperience

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 17, 2016
say goodbye to two USB ports.
We have already been using USB keyboards and mice, so this is not a concern.

function key compatibility is really useful on a mac keyboard.
I am aware, but I don't think that's an option for these prices.

buy one for testing purposes-- buy in bulk AFTER it meets your approval.
That's the plan.
[doublepost=1529466052][/doublepost]
I question how good any keyboard and mouse for $10 or under can be. Especially the keyboard may be very non-ergonomic and therefore especially problematic.
While I agree with what you said, these are for students to use, so they need to be cheap to replace because they break.

In fact, I broke one while doing a 10-pages paper marathon.
[doublepost=1529466532][/doublepost]
I seen Mac compatible wired keyboards in my local Walmart though I can not remember the price.
Well, it needs to be available in large quantity.

Having 5 in Walmart is no-good.

alien3dx

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2017
first time ever i heard mouse call mice?
** in my 30 life of using computer

tubeexperience

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 17, 2016
Reactions: alien3dx

Fishrrman

macrumors Core
Feb 20, 2009
I haven't used Apple mice or keyboards since the ADB days.

I currently use an old Macally "iMediaKey" keyboard. It has 2 USB ports (one on either end). They're "USB1.1" as far as I know, but I use the port only to connect the radio receiver for my mouse.

For years now, I've been using Logitech wireless mice. I don't use the Bluetooth, just the "standard" Logitech wireless. Works great.

jerwin

Suspended
Jun 13, 2015
Fact: You get what you pay for.
There's profit to made in not supplying what has been "paid" for.

Moreover, that presumes that a buyer's priorities are the same as the manufacturer's. If one is looking for durability and reliability, Apple's latest macbook pros have terrible keyboards.

I haven't used a laptop in many many years, so I'm not sure what advantages the macbook pro's keyboard might have.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.