Keyboards for Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by noludsns, Sep 25, 2013.

1. noludsns macrumors newbie

Hi,

Does anyone know if there are any keyboard alternatives to the standard Apple ones that have the mac keys (command, control etc)? Not really a fan of Apples and I don't really want to use a Windows one with the shortcuts.

Thanks in advance

2. takeshi74 macrumors 601

There are a number of options. What are you looking for in a keyboard (e.g. mechanical?) and what's your budget?

3. noludsns, Sep 25, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2013

noludsns thread starter macrumors newbie

Just one that's easy to use and not too 'bulky'. I do graphics design so comfort is important. Budget-wise, rather pay under £50 if possible :)

4. theluggage macrumors 68030

Actually if you're from the UK, the issue is not so much the command keys (Windows key = command, Alt key = option, and you can probably find a keyboard def file to reverse them somewhere) but the fact that the Apple British keyboard isn't so much a British keyboard as a US keyboard with the '#' replaced by a '£'. A regular British keyboard has several symbols in different places - e.g. the double-quote and '@' are swapped c.f. the US and several others shuffled around, leaving space for a honest-to-god '#' key. Just plugging in a windows keyboard will leave these keys producing the wrong symbols - a quick google should get you a fixed keyboard definition file, but the keys are stiil in different places - which is a huge pain if you're shifting between Windows and Apple keyboards.

Meanwhile, there's this: http://www.logitech.com/en-gb/product/wireless-solar-keyboard-k750-mac - but its similar chiclet-style keys to the Apple keyboard so if you don't like one you probably won't like the other.

Personally, I like the Apple wired aluminium keyboard a lot - but presumably you've actually tried it & don't.

5. John Kotches, Sep 26, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2013

John Kotches macrumors 6502

I use a Logitech, the model is the K811, and I use it with both PC and Mac. This is the keyboard that can pair with up to 3 systems.

Very similar design to the Apple Wireless Keyboard, but the keyboard has a less severe slope so that my hands are at a more comfortable angle for extended typing.

They have a similar style keyboard for Windows as well. I don't know that model number.

I've used PC keyboards with Mac, and if used Mac keyboards with PC. In the end, its just paying attention to what you're working with so that you don't make any really bad keyboard mistakes :)

6. Giuly, Sep 26, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2013

Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

It depends on what you're looking for.

If you want something that is colloquially called a "real keyboard" with real keys, the Matias Quiet Pro and Tactile Pro (one is silver and quiet, the other one is white and louder) would be examples from that category. The Quiet Pro is the first keyboard that allowed me to comfortably touch-type without moving all around the keyboard as the sculpted key tops lock your fingers in the home row, but that's just me. The overall typing experience is just a pleasure on them.
    [​IMG]

You can also have a portable, wireless version sans the number keys, the Matias Laptop Pro. It's Bluetooth, so it also works with an iPhone or iPad.
    [​IMG]

If that's not your thing but you want to be equally fancy with flat key tops but retain some kind of typing comfort, I'd say Logitech K750 Solar. It's wireless, but not Bluetooth. Believe it or not, but it also doesn't requires you to replace (not that you couldn't) or charge the battery, as it charges itself via a solar strip at the top, even from artificial light in an office/studio.
    [​IMG]
    It also comes in a smaller version targeted towards iOS devices, called the Logitech K760. Same keyboard minus the number keys, has Bluetooth so it works with iPhones and iPads as well (it can connect up to three devices and you can switch between them by just pressing F1-F3), and it has the right symbols (home button etc.) on the F-keys to control an iPhone or iPad.
    [​IMG]

There's also the Logitech K811, which might be a bit more fashionable than the K760 but lacks the solar charging. Other than that, it allows you to switch seamlessly between up to three devices as well. Unlike the solar keyboard, it is backlit.
    [​IMG]

7. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

8. troy14 macrumors 6502a

The best keyboard I have ever used for my Mac Mini....

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/wireless-solar-keyboard-k750-mac?crid=1489

The first month I was worried about battery power etc and constantly checking to see if it had enough solar power...

Here I am about 1-1.5 years later and I haven't worried about it since the first month. A great keyboard and I have never had it die or not work on me once. It truly is remarkable. My keyboard isn't by a window or anything either.

9. noludsns thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the suggestions chaps!

Really like the look of the DAS Keyboard but maybe a little out of my price range right now. Had a look at the K750 and looks really nice, just trying to find a decent price.