Keyboards "not safe to transmit sensitive information"

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by edesignuk, Oct 21, 2008.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

BBC.

2. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Yes, I read that earlier today when perusing the news sites. Interesting and thought-provoking. It examines a piece of earlier research and takes it further, but is certainly worth noting. Thanks.
    Cheers

3. sangosimo Guest

sangosimo

these attack are cool but how would you filter keystrokes. I wonder if I wifi antenna could be tuned to get capture this. With a cantenna + laptop you could drive around cracking wifi networks and stealing keystrokes.

4. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I wonder how this would work when targetted at an office building. Would they be able to single out a user or would they just get a random smattering from all the employees. The article seemed to state they used a laptop to reduce interference. I'm guessing that while they can do it, it's only feasible to do it on a single isolated target at the moment.

5. ChrisA macrumors G4

twenty five year old news

Back in the early 1980's there was an already long established program called "tempest". It was widely known back that that information could be extracted from a computer using electronics contained in a van parked outside the building. No, this had nothing to do with networks and wireless. The computer itself, the monitor, keyboard and so on all send out signals that can be intercepted if you have the right equipment. "Tempest" was the name of the program that tested and certified special built and shielded computers. In other words this problem was well enough known even 30+ years ago that people spent many millions of dollars to address it.

Read about it here.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TEMPEST

6. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

My question would be, with so many ways of getting data from computers, why would any one really be interested in this?

Something similar happened when cordless phones came out. Get a scanner and listen in. But the fad and interest died out.

7. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

A whle back I read a book where the bad guy was able to get an employees password by listening to her keystrokes from a mic he had placed in her purse.... The author was able to see into the future.

8. alexlovesmacs macrumors 6502a

What about those keyboard apps on the app store are those safe?

9. inkhead macrumors regular

This kind of stuff has been done for a long time now. Back in the 1960, Russian used remote electronics to send signals to a hard drive in the US embassy. The idea was the make the drive spin in a way that through the air the data could be read. Instead it ended up catching the drive on fire....