Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CloudsNeverDie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 11, 2015
All the MacBook Pro and Air machines I've seen in stores had wonderful keyboards, with only the lightest force needed to press the keys and a really great overall feel.

I bought an M2 MBP 14". The keys were much stiffer than the ones in the store. Some of the keys were so stiff, particularly on the left ("A", "W", "E" etc.) I'd get missed keystrokes while typing. Also the arrow keys only worked if pressed dead center - even if you pressed really hard on the left or right 20% or so of the key, no press would register, at all. Very annoying. So I returned it.

I got an M2 MBA 15" instead, thinking the keyboard would be lighter. The keyboard does feel lighter than the Pro I had, but it's still really stiff compared to the ones in the stores. The Space bar in particular is noticeably more stiff, and I often end up with no space between words.

Has anyone else noticed this problem? Apart from this issue, I really like both of these MacBooks, and I'm finally ready to upgrade from my late-2013 Retina MBP. I'm guessing there's been a recent change in the keyboard manufacturer or materials, so if I buy a third one it'll have the same issue, and maybe I should try to find one manufactured last year (e.g. used). Or do the keys soften up with time?

mectojic

macrumors 65816
Dec 27, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Yes, I've felt some stiffness for sure on my M2 Air. The new keyboards are pretty great, but in terms of solid reliability, I do think the 2008-2012 Unibody keyboards were much more durable and consistent.

Reactions: CloudsNeverDie
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.