Keyboards with a Mac keyset?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by iindigo, Apr 8, 2011.

1. iindigo macrumors 6502a

iindigo

Hey guys,

While I love the little BT keyboard that came with my 27" - it never disconnects, types easily, and is always responsive - I have a need for a full-sized keyboard for some of my applications. For those times, I'd like to be able to plug in an old-style USB keyboard.

Now, I'm quite aware that practically any USB keyboard will work fine, even the $15.00 cheapo at my local computer shop. However, the vast majority of keyboards available have one problem: That stupid Windows key (and subsequent key rearrangement). Yes, it automatically remaps to the command key, but its position on the board is still different, plus who wants a Windows key?

And so I'm now asking this: Where can I find keyboards with a Mac keyset? Sadly, it seems the big guys (Logitech) only produce standard Windows keyboards unless you get absurdly expensive (DiNovo). I could just buy an Apple alu wired keyboard, but that's also a little more than I'd like to spend, but if that's necessary I'll do it.

One option I'm looking at is buying older Apple keyboards. I found one site that's selling a few brand new original iMac (bondi, tangerine, grape, etc) keyboards for cheap. Were they any good?

Also, I have a couple old AppleDesign ADB keyboards sitting out in the garage. Would it be wise to track down some sort of ADB --> USB adapter and use one of them?

Sorry for the oversized blurb. If you read through it all, thanks!

2. jonnysods macrumors 601

jonnysods

I can't do anything but recommend the current USB one from Apple, because it's the most comfortable one they have made....

3. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

4. CHSeifert macrumors 6502

CHSeifert

Anything wrong with the USB connected keyboard from Apple :confused:

[​IMG]

http://store.apple.com/dk/product/MB110Z/A?fnode=MTY1NDA1Mg&mco=MTE0MDIyODA