Keyboards?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by RichardMajor86, Mar 15, 2012.

1. RichardMajor86 macrumors member

So, iPad keyboards, like this http://amzn.to/yc0FPE

Whats the point? Does anyone use one?

Surely if you want a keyboard, then an iPad isn't the right choice for you?

2. DenisAuermann macrumors regular

DenisAuermann

3. sartios macrumors member

I'm sorry but doesn't keyboards disintegrate the whole idea of a tablet computer? It's not a laptop..

4. Buildbright macrumors 6502a

When you need a keyboard get the apple wireless or one like it. These other "keyboard" hacks will only annoy you.

5. d0vr macrumors 6502a

I wireless one not built into the stand/case certainly seems like the best option to me.

And for those wondering why you would get a keyboard, because it's good to have next to you while browsing the internet to touch type with, without having it attached to the device, and it's excellent for writing long blocks of texts (commenting, updating blogs etc - things you can do without the power of a laptop).

6. AllCoExPat macrumors newbie

This.

When I'm going to be entering long blocks of text, I use the Apple wireless keyboard. I'd never say iPad is a laptop replacement, but having the keyboard available is convenient. I was on the road the last couple of days and the Apple keyboard fit fine in my carryon and didn't add any significant weight. You can obviously manage without it, but it's a nice to have the keyboard option when you want it.

7. Apple06 macrumors member

For those with experience with keyboards and iPad... does the virtual keyboard still pop up when you have a BT keyboard attached to it?

8. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

No it doesn't. And even if it did, as with the Apple bluetooth keyboard if you press the eject button I believe. That toggles the onscreen keyboard.

9. Apple06 macrumors member

Thanks.. that's good to know and I'll probably pick up an :apple: keyboard for it. I was worried about the virtual one popping up and taking up real estate.. lol.

10. SuperRob macrumors regular

When my wife needs to take minutes for meetings at work, she'll grab our Mac mini's wireless keyboard. Works great for her on the few days she's typing away from her office.

11. TC25 macrumors 68020

It is such fun reading threads about classic topics like this, that began way back with iPad1. You never know what comments people will make that bring back such fond memories. Like insults that just because they can't identify a need for a keyboard with an iPad, why, certainly no one else should and the ever helpful comment that anyone who suggests such a thing, they should just by a laptop.

12. wodeh macrumors regular

+1 for the Apple keyboard. Particularly the newer version which uses a saner, even number of AA batteries.

13. maclook macrumors 65816

I've read many articles about journalists falling in love with their iPads+keyboard for their writing needs. Saying it defeats the purpose of a touchscreen is ridiculous. You can turn the iPad into whatever you want with a keyboard, stylus, music add ons and many other accessories.

14. jojoba macrumors 68000

I have a LogiTech keyboard

http://www.logitech.com/en-gb/keyboards/keyboard/devices/keyboard-case-ipad

which I use extensively. My iPad is my primary portable device, and I use it often to take notes/ write emails etc. The long battery life combined with stylus input and 3G service often make it preferable for my needs on the go compared to my MBA.

Not with my LogiTech. My iPad 'knows' when I connect my keyboard through bluetooth that I don't need the virtual keyboard.

15. NameUndecided macrumors 6502a

I really like my AmazonBasics keyboard -- http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Bluetooth-Keyboard-Apple-iPhone/dp/B005EOWBKE/

I think it's a better portable solution than the Apple wireless keyboard, and it works just as well and feels just as nice to type on.

I'm personally really not a fan of any keyboard that has the iPad dock into it (to make it look more like a laptop?), so this is my solution that I'm really very happy with.

16. monkeylui macrumors 6502

I have the apple keyboard as well. Rarely use it, but it's there if I really need it. I'm a pretty quick thumb typer on the iPad keyboard in portrait.

17. noles200 macrumors member

I wonder why someone would get spend $829 on a 64GB iPad with LTE then spend money on a case and keyboard when they could get a 64GB 11" Macbook Air for $999.

I guess they want it for games, internet anywhere, etc?

18. Jason S. macrumors 6502a

I've never really used an external keyboard, but if I was going to type something long, like a paper or a blog post... I'd probably use the keyboard that I got with my iMac.