Keychain Access

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Samelson03, Aug 24, 2007.

1. Samelson03 macrumors 6502

Alright, so I restarted using the Mac Install Disc 1 to reset my password, worked well but when I opened iChat and Safari it asked me for my keychain password I was confused, cuz I never messed with this keychain stuff ever. So how do I take this stuff off so whenever I start iChat up it wont ask me for the password?

2. ultimateceej macrumors regular

ultimateceej

Try opening up Keychain Access and make sure that the lock is unlocked at the top when you select the particular 'keys.'

3. ultimateceej macrumors regular

ultimateceej

Ok try this. Go to Keychain Access and change the keychain password to your new login password. That should do it.

4. Samelson03 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm in the little app called Keychain Access but how do I change the password?

5. ultimateceej macrumors regular

ultimateceej

Go to edit and then "Change Password for Keychain 'login'".

6. Samelson03 thread starter macrumors 6502

I dont think you understand what i'm telling. I want to be able to open iChat and Safari and it wont ask me for the keychain password. I dont want anything to do with this Keychain crap.

7. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

I don't think you understand what Keychain does.....so just breathe and relax a bit.

Keychain will store passwords used by applications in the system.....like iChat. What the other members are trying to say is that you changed your account password, but likely your Keychain password doesn't match, so it's asking you to authenticate.

-Kevin

8. ultimateceej macrumors regular

ultimateceej

Exactly. If you don't want keychain to remember anything, then open Keychain Access and delete the iChat and Safari keys. The next time you sign into iChat, you will have to type in your instant messaging password but be sure to deselect the option for remembering your password. But you will still have to enter a password every time you open iChat so you can log into the IM servers.