Keychain Admin Password Recovery

Discussion in 'macOS' started by skatermom22, May 18, 2009.

1. skatermom22 macrumors newbie

So long story short I set up an account for my husband a while ago on my Macbook, he had full admin rights and privileges as do I, but he hasn't signed on for a few months. He has a ton of work on his account that he moved over from an old hard drive but he's forgotten his password. We've had history with password issues and he doesn't want me to see his and I don't want to know it. I was wondering if there was any way if I let him log on my admin account if he could simply view his password even though he was another user. According to him he remembers locking a bunch of documents using the same password so a simple reset won't work. Is there any way to use keychain to look at his admin account password without resetting it?

If not, I know we could log on his account using the master password but simply resetting the password won't help with the locked files issue. Is there to log on to his account using the master password then view his old one? Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

2. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

There's only a master password if he's got Filevault switched on. Is it on?

If so, you need his original password to view the files. His login keychain with his password stored is inside his home folder.

What does he mean by locking files with a password? Did he use an encrypted disk image?