Keychain: always asks for permission

Discussion in 'macOS' started by brijazz, Apr 18, 2011.

1. brijazz macrumors 6502

brijazz

I have my default keychain (which of course is login.keychain) set to lock after 5 minutes. I set up a separate keychain (which I called unlocked.keychain) in which I put items that require frequent keychain access, but also aren't particularly sensitive (my Xmarks bookmark syncing info, for example). This keychain is set to stay unlocked at all times.

Nonetheless, whenever Xmarks wants to sync, get a popup asking me to enter my unlocked.keychain password. Why is this? Since the keychain is unlocked, shouldn't the keychain information be retrieved without prompting me? If anyone can provide some insight, it will be much appreciated.

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

When you enter the password, why aren't you clicking "always allow?". This should prevent xmarks from prompting you ever again. If you aren't getting an "always allow", I suggest you change the so called unlocked keychain to a locked keychain and get in the habit of answering always allow for any app that wants to use it. I suspect you aren't being offered the always allow option because you have told OS X the keychain is unlocked. To me an unlocked keychain is an oxymoron. I would never do something like this. If it's a credential I don't want to be prompted for every time I simply check always allow and I never get prompted again.

3. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

If the above doesn't work, try to repair your keychain.

4. brijazz thread starter macrumors 6502

brijazz

I'm not getting the "allows allow" prompt, since OS X is asking me if it can use the unlocked.keychain in the first place. Xmarks never prompts me once unlocked.keychain is unlocked, which is the expected behaviour. But that's the issue: why am I getting prompted when a keychain that's not set to lock needs to be accessed?

The reason I have a separate keychain for Xmarks is so that it can function even when login.keychain is locked.

I verified the keychain before even posting here initially, and am not getting any errors. Further advice?

5. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Which xmarks are you using? Chrome, FF or Safari? For me, on FF 4, there is no issue with xmarks asking me for credentials ever.

6. brijazz thread starter macrumors 6502

brijazz

The issue isn't with Xmarks, it's with the keychain that my Xmarks credentials are stored in. That keychain holds other not-particularly-sensitive information as well. I'm trying to find out why this keychain won't stay unlocked, despite not having any "auto-lock" settings enabled.