Keychain battery backup charger for going without phone longer?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by betabeta, Sep 16, 2017.

1. betabeta macrumors 6502a

Anyone use these keychain battery backup chargers? They get great reviews on Amazon, they claim you can get 1.5 charges on one. The Apple Watch is fast to charge so honestly I can see going fishing or hiking and just using a very small battery charger. This sounds great as I really love the idea of being free of the phone more often.

Maybe if I loosen the band I can slip this keychain charger right under the watch and charge it on my wrist:Dor at least in my pocket...got to watch the heat on that one I assume.

I think tiny portable charges can make this work for heavy voice usage, also turning LTE off and on when needed will really help, like I don't need to be in constant contact while fishing, but nice to be able to turn it on when I need to check or make a call.

I think I will be getting away with not having my phone pretty often.

Here's a picture it's pretty small image.jpeg

2. Trent0341 macrumors 6502

Interesting... I did not even know these existed. I hate carrying one more thing but when I do ditch my phone I plan on carrying AirPods and the watch so I will already be carrying something else. Look forward to hearing about anyones experiences with this.

3. custom875 macrumors member

custom875

I keep one of these in my backpack and its been great. I doubt it would work well while wearing the watch though, its pretty thick. For me its even too big to keep on a keychain but then again I don’t like having a lot in my pocket.

4. Aston441 macrumors 65816

That's a cool trick, but like my phone, I think my solution is going to be a spare regular watch charging cable in my bag with a regular USB-A rechargeable battery pack. If the Keychain batteries could recharge with lightning or USB-C I'd probably get one, but I'm done with micro USB, one of the worst connector designs in history.

5. fishes234 macrumors newbie

I've had one for the past six months or so and it works very well. 1.5 charges is probably about right, it charges the watch pretty quickly, but the battery pack charges up slower and it doesn't do pass through charging.

I leave it in my bag I use for travelling and charge the watch up for an hour or so in the morning or evening

6. hexagenia macrumors regular

hexagenia

I have the Belkin keychain charger and it’s one of my favorite AW accessories. Belkin’s is a little larger (and heavier), but I definitely get at least two full charges out of it, so for me it can mean going cable and charger free for a weekend.

Love throwing down my keys and charging my AW at a moments notice. Really helps me with battery management.

7. boston04and07 macrumors 65816

boston04and07

I’m with you on this. I can’t stand micro USB and don’t actually own anything anymore that uses it, as I try to avoid it as much as I can. However all of the portable Apple Watch chargers I’ve found use it, which is annoying. A charger that uses a Lightning input would be perfect for my needs, but until someone makes one, I’ve been using this charger with a micro USB to Lightning adapter permanently plugged in.

Not as compact or pretty as it could be given the need for the adapter, but it gets the job done. It also means that I can charge my watch using the many existing Lightning cables I have around the house, which is nice. No more unplugging cables behind furniture to just charge one thing. I always toss it in my bag when I’m going out, too, so it’s also nice that I can top off my watch if it gets a little low.

8. Aston441 macrumors 65816

Oh, that charger is cute!! If only it was lightning...