Keychain has the memory of a goldfish

Discussion in 'macOS' started by yoyo5280, Jul 25, 2007.

1. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

Maybe, 3/4 of a year ago I reinstalled OS X (and kept my files) and ever since the only keychain password my mac seems to remember is my network's WEP password. It has not really been a problem because I was not using my mac much (busy, moving, etc.) but now I am using it more and it is a real pain! Entering my Mail password, and Adium passwords every time I log on. It sucks. Anybody know a solution?

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Have you run Keychain First Aid to verify and repair your Keychain after the reinstall?

3. yoyo5280 thread starter macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

No, I will look at it now!

Thanks Dude :)

UPDATE: It said this Password for ~/Library/Keychains/login.keychain is not the same as login password, so keychain can't be unlocked automatically
    Unable to read settings for ~/Library/Keychains/login.keychain

I clicked repair and it opened a popup telling me to type my password. Which password, my old password or my current one...?

Attached Files:

4. Sbrocket macrumors 65816

Sbrocket

Its wants the "old" keychain password. If you've changed your password (especially around when the issue appeared), try entering the password you used before the change. Or just try all your old passwords.

5. yoyo5280 thread starter macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

Okay, Thanks!!

Okay, so I repaired everything, but still, after closing mail, opening mail, typing password, clicking remember password, closing mail, and opening again it still asks for the password!!??

6. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Is it only one mail password that's being asked over and over again...? And is this always or just some of the time...?

If the mail server is down or your mail account is configured slightly incorrectly then Mail will be slightly confused and ask for the password over and over again.

If the mail account in question is sat up correctly, then you might try to remove that entry from your keychain, look for the name of the mail server, and then see if the password "sticks" after you provide it the next time you use Mail.

7. yoyo5280 thread starter macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

it is every password except my network WEP code. No others show up in keychain access anymore.

8. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I've got the exact opposite problem in that my KeyChain constantly forgets my WEP password.* When I try and fix it by inputting the network name and WEP key again it refuses to connect. I have to either, reboot (eww) or delete the old keychain reference and do it again. The crappy thing is this seems to be at random.

* yeah, I know I should be using at least WPA but that's technically impossible with my current network.

9. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Ok, if the Keychain is verified and repaired, the next thing on my list would be to repair disk permissions...

You could also try to delete the login keychain all together (since that is more than likely what's causing the problem, my AirPort network passwords are all stored in the System keychain with almost all others stored in login). You can delete the login keychain directly from Keychain Access, but you can also go hunt for it in /Users/<you>/Library/Keychains/