Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyelight

macrumors member
Original poster
May 24, 2004
I have recently had to re-load the start-up disk on my ibook G4 in order to change my administrator password. Ever since key chain login boxes keep popping up and I am unable to receive emails. It looks for a password to unlock this thing but I have never had one. The only password I have ever had is the administrator password. I have never used keychains before. Why is it suddenly here and how can I get rid of it.????? I can't change or create any passwords as it looks for the old one which i don't have. The help menus are too complicated and require this password which I don't have.

Please help!!!!!!!

wrc fan

macrumors 65816
all your passwords are stored in the keychain. originally you wouldn't have to enter your password because the keychain would be unlocked when you logged in, but because you had to use the OS X cd to reset your password, your keychain password no longer matches to your OS X password so it doesn't get unlocked and now prompts you for the password. The only way around this is to either know the original password, or delete the old keychain and make a new one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.