Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

parish

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 14, 2009
Wilts., UK
Following the hacking of these forums I changed my password. Safari (on my MBP) helpfully popped up a suggested password stating that it would be saved in my keychain, so I accepted it.

Went to my iPhone to log into these forums - old password was used :confused:

On my MBP, I logged out and went to log in again - old password. Checked in Preferences for saved password for these forums - old password.

I trawled through all the suggestions on Apple's KB article at http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4644?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US but still it didn't work.

Eventually, I used the Password Reset function to get back in.

What am I missing here? Safari did say it would save the suggested password so why hasn't it - even on my MBP where I used it (so it isn't an issue of it not syncing between devices)?

Aragornii

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010
The exact same thing happened to me when I changed my password this morning (and not just on this site). Here is what you need to do.

1. Select "I forgot my password" when trying to log in and get a new password.

2. Go through the process of changing your password. If you use the Safari automatically generated password then write it down. iCloud Keychain will nat save it (I wasted about an hour of my life on that this morning before I figured it out).

3. Log out then log in with the normal log in box at the top right of the page. Your password should now be saved in keychain.

Apparently the problem is that when you change your password on the User CP page Keychain doesn't save it. It only saves it when you do a regular log in.

Edit: this worked on my iPad but when I just tried this method on my MacBook it does not work. Something screwy going on with Safari and Mavericks.

Last edited:
Reactions: jagooch

parish

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 14, 2009
Wilts., UK
Apparently the problem is that when you change your password on the User CP page Keychain doesn't save it. It only saves it when you do a regular log in.

Edit: this worked on my iPad but when I just tried this method on my MacBook it does not work. Something screwy going on with Safari and Mavericks.

Thanks. That (kind of) figures as the Change Password page isn't a regular login/password entry page but then why is Safari offering a generated password?

dalvin200

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
Nottingham, UK
I had the same issue with both iCloud Keychain and 1Password not saving my new MacRumors password.

changed mine just now... i used 1p rather than iCloud Keychain... but my 1p data uses iCloud..

pwd changed on MBP.. go to iPhone 1p and still shows old password...
forced a sync and it's lovely jubbly :D

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
iCloud KeyChain seems to have issues with numerous sites, this one included. I had the same issue as the OP but eventually, after spending nearly an hour I was able to get iKC to finally remember the new generated password.

I'm a long time 1P user but I wanted to try out iKC since it seems more convenient across devices but it's been pretty disappointing so far compared to 1P. For example, many banking sites (e.g. ING Direct) have a two (or three) step sign in process. 1P handles it perfectly, while iKC doesn't even register.

Hopefully Apple remains committed to iKC as the potential is definitely there but they have an awfully long way to go to compete with the likes of 1P.

am2am

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2011
:mad: iCloud keychain is completely useless at this moment. Serious design flaw. It proposes complex passwords which are not stored in keychain. Not only on macrumors site. I just lost an hour trying it on different sites. Each and every time I opened change password page, either the password was not proposed at all or it was proposed but not remembered in keychain. Results - need to reset password again and change manually.
Really disappointed that apple released such buggy solution for such sensitive area ! :eek: :mad: :mad:

ynot1

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2013
USA
Same issue with me I spent hours trying to get the MacRumors p/w to work with keychain until I read these posts. Went to my iPad and it prompted me to save checked my iMac now all is good.

pittpanthersfan

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2009
I wasn't able to have it save suggested passwords on my Mac no matter what. Manually entered the suggested password on my iPhone and it saved and everything is now synced across the board.

Definitely a Mavericks or Safari 7 issue.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
I read a hint in one forum that said if in Safari go to the usual login page, enter your username/new password but don't click enter yet. Just do a page refresh using command button+r, then upon the refresh click enter (while saving the new password) and Safari will now save that new password.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
Under safari in the settings, do you have "Names and Passwords" and "always allow" on? I turned this on and haven't had an issue yet.

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
Under safari in the settings, do you have "Names and Passwords" and "always allow" on? I turned this on and haven't had an issue yet.

Yeah those settings on both the Mac and in iOS are essential to make iCloud KeyChain function, those were the first settings I enabled but sadly still don't help with many many sites, this site and ironically Apple's own iCloud site included. :cool:

am2am

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2011
I read a hint in one forum that said if in Safari go to the usual login page, enter your username/new password but don't click enter yet. Just do a page refresh using command button+r, then upon the refresh click enter (while saving the new password) and Safari will now save that new password.

This works but not resolves the problem described in this topic.
When you refresh the page, safari offers password saving in keychain, but at the same time password field is emptied. You need to either manually enter the password (written it down somewhere before) or accept new password proposed by Safari (but then it is again not remembered in keychain)

Datsyuk

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2013
Vancouver, BC
:mad: iCloud keychain is completely useless at this moment. Serious design flaw. It proposes complex passwords which are not stored in keychain. Not only on macrumors site. I just lost an hour trying it on different sites. Each and every time I opened change password page, either the password was not proposed at all or it was proposed but not remembered in keychain. Results - need to reset password again and change manually.
Really disappointed that apple released such buggy solution for such sensitive area ! :eek: :mad: :mad:

Man....I just wasted a lot of time thinking trying to figure out why keychain isn't saving the auto generated passwords it provides. Very disappointing.

Preclaro_tipo

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2003
West Lafayette, IN
not working

Safari (Keychain?) not remembering the password it suggested is just about the dumbest bug I've ever heard.

I get that maybe the log in item could be a drop down, or the url could be slightly different on the websites registration page vs the primarily log in page, but still, I should be able to search the keychain app and find some instance of the website I just registered at.

Keychain doesn't work with:
napaonline.com
CoStar.com (gateway.costar.com)

At least with 1Password (long-time user) if there is an issue with username or password I can find and correct it easily. Keychain (the application) is convoluted.

Last edited:

phr0ze

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
Columbia, MD
Is this an issue with two different stored passwords? The suggested password is stored in keychain, but is the previous password saved in the browser or something?

Just throwing ideas.

jagooch

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2009
Denver, co
I had the same issue on the Plex web site( and others ). It seems to be with User Control Panels(CP's) in forums where you log in, and they'll have a "new password" field and a "current password" field right next to each other. You can get Safari to suggest a new password and then type/paste your current password in the current field.

After you change your password, there will be no record of what the generated password was, so you'll need to go through the reset process, and next time remember to save the suggested password!

tblrsa

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2010
Had the same problems on some sites. Safari does suggest a password, but does not save it. Dumb. :(

Reactions: jagooch

jagooch

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2009
Denver, co
As a work around, I started taking screen shots of the suggested password. After the password is set, I log out and log back in and use the password saved in the screen shot if Safari does not autofill the password.

jagooch

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2009
Denver, co
Many years later, still happening. I changed a bank site password, used the suggested password, logged out., When I tried to log in it tried the old password. I have no idea how to get the suggested password to display again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.