Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

James83448

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 4, 2015
I am looking into setting up either LastPass or Keychain to manage my passwords. I am uncertain on which to go for, as I can see pros and cons for each.

The main con for LastPass is I need to sync the passwords across my MBP and IP6, so I'd need to pay for that. What happens to my saved passwords if I decide to cancel after 1 year? Are they retrievable?

For both Keychain and LastPass, is it possible to sign in on a random computer and get access to your passwords? I travel a lot and if my MBP and IP6 were stolen, I'd need to be able to sign into my accounts on a computer in an internet cafe. Is this possible on LastPass and Keychain?

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
Lastpass - if you cancel your premium subscription it will default to whatever devise you initially started using LastPass with iPhone or MBP.

Lastpass - Yes you access your passwords with any internet source.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
I am looking into setting up either LastPass or Keychain to manage my passwords. I am uncertain on which to go for, as I can see pros and cons for each.

The main con for LastPass is I need to sync the passwords across my MBP and IP6, so I'd need to pay for that. What happens to my saved passwords if I decide to cancel after 1 year? Are they retrievable?

For both Keychain and LastPass, is it possible to sign in on a random computer and get access to your passwords? I travel a lot and if my MBP and IP6 were stolen, I'd need to be able to sign into my accounts on a computer in an internet cafe. Is this possible on LastPass and Keychain?

Have a look at 1Password. There is no subscription required and you can sync using iCloud or Dropbox. I use it to sync with my Mac computers and all my Apple iDevices. Been using it for years and it has been a great program to use.

Reactions: barbu

James83448

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 4, 2015
Can I access saved passwords on a different computer without the 1password app? (like an internet cafe computer)

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Can I access saved passwords on a different computer without the 1password app? (like an internet cafe computer)

1Password works on the iPhone. If I need to access enter a password on a computer that does not have it installed, I simply open 1Password on my iPhone and manually enter the password I need.

lestere

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2014
Central Florida
Have a look at 1Password. There is no subscription required and you can sync using iCloud or Dropbox. I use it to sync with my Mac computers and all my Apple iDevices. Been using it for years and it has been a great program to use.
1Password is absolutely terrific, I have used it for years in conjunction with keychain. There are some passwords that I never want keychain to save, my banking website is a good example. 1Password is the perfect solution.

AlliFlowers

macrumors 601
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
The biggest difference between something like LastPass and Keychain is the ability to look up a password. Keychain simply saves them and allows automatic entry. You can't export Keychain and you can't import to it. LastPass is handy, but has been compromised a few times. As long as your master password is strong, you should be ok.

Like the others, I use a 3rd party solution, but I use DataVault. You have the option of saving to device only, or syncing to Dropbox or iCloud (manually or automatically), and it's available for all platforms (except Windows phone).

dsemf

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2014
What if you loose your iPhone while travelling?

I use Dropbox to sync 1Password with Macs and IOS devices.

For your scenario:
  1. Find a computer/device you trust (replacement iPhone?).
  2. Logon to https://dropbox.com using the id and password that you have memorized.
  3. Go to 1Password.agilekeychain (Show package contents if using a Mac).
  4. Open 1Password.html with your master password.
This does assume that you are not using 2 factor authorization for Dropbox since you cannot receive the security code.

DS

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
The biggest difference between something like LastPass and Keychain is the ability to look up a password. Keychain simply saves them and allows automatic entry. You can't export Keychain and you can't import to it. LastPass is handy, but has been compromised a few times. As long as your master password is strong, you should be ok.

Like the others, I use a 3rd party solution, but I use DataVault. You have the option of saving to device only, or syncing to Dropbox or iCloud (manually or automatically), and it's available for all platforms (except Windows phone).
Lastpass has never been compromised. Users passwords were never revealed or hacked. Please keep your facts straight.

barbu

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2013
wpg.mb.ca
Plus one for 1Password. Excellent app, terrific plugin support, strong crypto, Canadian-built, supports Touch ID, syncs across all devices, and you are in total control.

James83448

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 4, 2015
I've decided to use LastPass on my MBP and sync the passwords with Keychain, so I've got access on my IP6.

One slight annoyance with Keychain, the login forms seem to always auto fill automatically, or when I click the username input box, I get the option to enter the saved details. Is there no way that I can add a password prompt to this, so I have to enter a master password (or user password for MPB), as this means anyone can automatically autofill passwords.

I know to see the password in Keychain, I need to enter my user password, but it seems that I never ever get prompted for any kind of password while using Safari

James83448

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 4, 2015
When I go to Passwords in Safari (on MBP) and select "Autofill usernames and passwords", then it does what it says, and inserts any saved usernames or passwords. When I uncheck this option, It does not automatically insert any saved usernames and passwords, but when I enter my saved username, it doesn't insert the associated saved password.

Why is this?

WrrN

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2012

Have been using 1Password on Mac and iOS for a few years now and really couldn't live without it. Love how it all syncs seamlessly. Best software I have ever purchased. (No, I don't work for AgileBits).

James83448

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 4, 2015
I now only use LastPass, and no Keychain. I'm using the premium version trial, and will probably sign up afterwards. Don't like the idea of Keychain only being available on my own devices (not any computer worldwide), and for the sake of $12 a year, I believe it's a good decision for my personal situation.

It was a toss-up between 1Password and LastPass, and thought the initial cost of 1Password was too high.

WrrN

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2012
I now only use LastPass, and no Keychain. I'm using the premium version trial, and will probably sign up afterwards. Don't like the idea of Keychain only being available on my own devices (not any computer worldwide), and for the sake of $12 a year, I believe it's a good decision for my personal situation.

It was a toss-up between 1Password and LastPass, and thought the initial cost of 1Password was too high.

I like that 1P has no recurring subscription. Would rather pay all upfront, but I can see the benefit of LastPass too.

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
My main reason for LastPass was I used the free service for a couple years and finally started doing the premium service. i was already familiar with LastPass so I bit the bullet and went with the subscription model.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.