Keychain password windows

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by SullyMac, Sep 9, 2008.

1. SullyMac macrumors newbie

Please help....I continue to get window pop ups that say keychain password needed. I hit cancel and it just pops up again and again and again. Very frustrating. :confused:

How do I eliminate this entirley? I have tried to go into Keychains and delete some things but it keeps happening. I should not have to continue to enter a password for everything I do or access on my computer.

In case you didn't guess I am somewhat of a novice with Mac OS X. I love the software but I am unfamiliar with some of the nuances that I deal with from time to time.

Thanks in advance!!:D

2. SullyMac thread starter macrumors newbie

no help????

So is the question I am asking a difficult one? Am I asking the wrong question? Am I in the wrong place?

3. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

What has happened is your Keychain (the place where the Mac retains all of your stored passwords) is locked. All you need to do is unlock it and it shouldn't nag you again.

Unless you've deviated from the typical setup, the keychain password should be the same administrator name and password that you use to log in to the Mac.

4. SullyMac thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply

What has happened is your Keychain (the place where the Mac retains all of your stored passwords) is locked. All you need to do is unlock it and it shouldn't nag you again. I have tried this but for whatever reason it will not accept my admin password. I don't know why!!

Unless you've deviated from the typical setup, the keychain password should be the same administrator name and password that you use to log in to the Mac. Correct, I continue to try and use my admin password but it will not accept it. I even put the Leopard disk and rebooted to change my admin password because at one point it did not even recognize that. I would prefer to get rid of the keychain passwords all together if possible. Unless that is a bad idea.

5. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

If you still know your admin password, it's possible to discard your keychain file and start over. This will allow you to set the keychain password to the same as your admin password and simplify your life. The only downside is it's a little less secure, though most people do it, and it will result in the loss of your stored passwords.

I think this technote covers it:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106973

6. SullyMac thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks!

Thanks for all of your help. Much appreciated.:D

7. vasanth4u macrumors member

vasanth4u

Hmmmmmmmmmm HII

Hi This is Vasanth

This is a bit simple one ....
    go to your home folder and library-keychains -login.keychain
    that is the culprit drag that login.keychain to trash and restart the computer -
    Issue resolves

8. SullyMac thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

Ultimately, that is exactly what I did.

Again thanks for all of the help.

:)