keychain problems....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 7itanium, Jan 9, 2014.

1. 7itanium macrumors member

I have a bran new 13" Macbook Pro Retina i5

I have had it for a little over a month

Everytime I log into the device when rebooting it I get popup boxes from various keychains asking me for a password.... I know my password that isnt the issue.... but I am really sick of entering it 7 times every time I boot up my MBP

is there a way to disable this feature alltogether? I dont even use it to store passwords most of the time and it is truly a headache.... I have acctually considered downgrading to mountain lion...

help!

2. 7itanium thread starter macrumors member

298 views and nobody has any idea? sad day :-(

3. michelg1970 macrumors regular

michelg1970

Hi!

I had this problem a couple of years ago and it turned out I had some problems with writing to a certain folder. For me it helped to use DiskUtil and repair the permissions.

Hope you can solve it!

4. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Sounds like a file access issue as, assuming you saved the passwords in your keychain, it asks you again as it can't access the stored passwords...

5. niteflyr macrumors 6502a

Related Q&A from this article:

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57580531-263/q-a-macfixit-answers/

Question: Persistent keychain prompts interfering with daily activities
    MacFixIt reader Shawn asks:
    A Keychain prompt keeps popping up every time I'm streaming media (or doing anything really) on my MacBook Pro. This kind of breaks the mood when it pops up four or five times during an hour-and-a-half-long movie. How does one disable it? Will my MBP become an instant virus magnet if I do?
    Answer:
    When the keychain password prompt shows, it usually shows the service that is in need of authentication (such as an e-mail server, or an application). Is the same service showing in the prompt whenever it pops up? If so then go to the Keychain Access utility, select the "login" keychain, and click "All Items" in the section below the keychain list. Then use the search box to locate the keychain entry based on the service or application name that is mentioned in the prompts, and remove this entry.

If after doing this the problem continues, then use the Keychain First Aid option in the Keychain Access menu to run a verification (and potential repair) on your keychains.
    As far as your Mac becoming an instant malware magnet, prevention against malware is not the purpose of the keychain, hence changes to your keychains will not alter your Mac's security with respect to malware. It will at most only require you to enter your password again for a given service (or by its intent, store a password so you do not get this prompt)