Keychains Problem

shuurajou

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 25, 2005
147
0
Bristol, England.
Hi there,

I recently got my new iMac G5, setup multiple profiles on it for myself and family. However, I created all accounts with passwords to begin with. Later on, it seemed that the other users of my Mac didn't want passwords; 'Easy Enough' I thought to myself, and removed the passwords from account preferences.

I told them the passwords were removed, only to get a call saying they couldn't access safari etc, because it still kept asking them for their password. Anyway I can completely removed all needs for passwords from their account folks, as removing it from their account seems to have left it in everything else.

Thanks.
 

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
29,777
12
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
What do you mean when you say that Safari asks for a password? Do you mean that they are able to log in, and see the desktop, but if they try to launch Safari, they are asked for a system password?
 
Comment

shuurajou

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 25, 2005
147
0
Bristol, England.
mkrishnan said:
What do you mean when you say that Safari asks for a password? Do you mean that they are able to log in, and see the desktop, but if they try to launch Safari, they are asked for a system password?
Hi there, thanks for responding to my problem.

Yes, when Safari is started on one of the accounts which originally had a password, but which I have removed, it still asks them for that password when starting Safari. They can log in without any passwords fine.

They were never asked for passwords when I had their accounts set with a password for log on, but now I've removed it, Safari has started prompting them for passwords - which the old ones work on - so it seems the password is not totally removed. I'm a bit stuck on this one.
 
Comment

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
29,777
12
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Wow, I am not familiar with Safari asking for a password. Is it possible that the password being asked for is for something else, like a router or internet connection? But it also sounds like each person had a different password before, so then this would be strange. :(

Also, now that they have no passwords, are they managed accounts, with limitations, or do they have full user access?
 
Comment

shuurajou

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 25, 2005
147
0
Bristol, England.
mkrishnan said:
Wow, I am not familiar with Safari asking for a password. Is it possible that the password being asked for is for something else, like a router or internet connection? But it also sounds like each person had a different password before, so then this would be strange. :(

Also, now that they have no passwords, are they managed accounts, with limitations, or do they have full user access?
I have no passwords set-up anywhere else which could cause this. Every account had a password which as different, I removed those passwords via account preferences pain. They were, and still are limited accounts :(.
 
Comment

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
29,777
12
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
shuurajou said:
I have no passwords set-up anywhere else which could cause this. Every account had a password which as different, I removed those passwords via account preferences pain. They were, and still are limited accounts :(.
Do you have any of the autofill options turned on in the Safari prefs? I just noticed that I have a "Safari autofill password" entry in my keychain. So I'm thinking maybe the password was retained by safari to give you access to autofill data, and if you turn all autofill options off, it might go away. Also maybe delete that keychain element if its there....
 
Comment

Similar threads

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.