keychains question

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bob2131, Aug 17, 2008.

1. bob2131 macrumors 6502a

hi
    the latest leopard....the keychains function.....

say if store some passowords in there, like password for this website and other websites........

will i automatically be able to get into site? without username?
    all browsers? i use firefox and opera.

but what if my laptop gets stolen.....then the criminal can just get into all my accounts/websites cant they????? cause im set to automatically log onto my account on start up........

so is the keychain thing only good, if we are actually logging out of leopard, when we finish with using laptop??

opera has a similar function, where it remeberes passwords and you just hit a key combination.......but not good if gets stolen.........

are people using keychains?

thanks

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Yes, the keychains can store all of your passwords so that they're right there when you need them without having to remember them. And yes, if you don't use security measure on them, a thief can access your private info. You can use the Keychain Access application to set options such as locking your keychain on sleep or after a certain period of inactivity. Then you just need to know the single password to unlock your entire keychain.

3. bob2131 thread starter macrumors 6502a

is there anyone here who actually uses the keychain app????
    on a macbook??

its complicated.

say if i set it up......and say if i go to a website ive joined,
    will it just automatically allow me in, say this forum? without my loggin any info in??

or can i set it to at least ask me everytime to enter my mac user account password, the same one for the whole mac, each time key chain wants to get in a website.........

i have way tooooo many passowords.....etc.....so ive made a secure note in my keychain page....so i can manually get passwords.....slightly time consuming, but secure i guess.....you need a password to look at it......

how do you people manage all your passwords etc???

ive got a coupla 3rd party password utilities off apple site, havent checked them out yet..........any recommendations?

thanks