Keygate can Apple get away with it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Lastgreen, Jun 5, 2018.

1. Lastgreen macrumors member

Hey guys I have a 2017 MacBook Pro it hasn't given any keyboard issues as yet - I'm a light user mainly because of my parnoia from this keygate issue. But I'm wondering... can apple really get away with an issue such as this? I've read that there are 3 lawsuits against the issue. I remember there was a screen issue with the retina models and Apple replaced the screens years later. Would something like this happen for affected MacBook users?

2. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 68000

New_Mac_Smell

So you haven't had any issues but are worried because other people have had issues? Just use the thing and enjoy it, no need to be paranoid over something that may never happen.

Generally yes, if the class actions are successful then it will prove in a court of law that the machines are defective, and Apple will need to correct these faults. If however they are unsuccessful then likely nothing will ever happen, as it will stand as a benchmark that they've proved nothing is wrong. I wouldn't read too much into there being three though, these are big money payouts for law firms, and they all jump on them. Basically just sign as many people up as possible and it adds to the court fees the defendant would be required to pay.

However, as this is not a worldwide court, it would only apply in the country of origin. Although likely a similar class action would occur in other areas if successful.

For future though just buy the Apple Care with them, it's not much but it's worth it. I've heard people being upset that it's needed repairs but thankful they had AC, which is basically like winning a gamble so all good. Covers you for three years, most people buy these as work machines so three years is a good time to replace it anyway. Problem solved.

3. Audit13 macrumors 68040

Audit13

If Apple can win every lawsuit, they will "get away with it".

4. Closingracer macrumors 68040

Because me , you and the guy to my right couldn’t sue Apple because they made the MacBook to rectangular? We can sue a company for whatever reason and not that hard to attempt one. Getting it heard and winning is different

5. Schranke macrumors 6502a

Schranke

Depending on the results of those lawsuits which are in the US right now, and also how other countries consumer protection laws/agencies approach this apple can get away with it. I do however not think that it is the case as the machines as they becomes older and older have the problem coming up more frequently.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm not sure I get your point, each of those lawsuits is accusing apple of doing something they shouldn't have. It has nothing to do with suing them being rectengular.

Lawsuit 1 defective keyboard and not alerting the consumers.

Lawsuit 2
    Count 1: BREACH OF EXPRESS WARRANTY
    Count 2: VIOLATION OF THE MAGNUSON-MOSS WARRANTY ACT
    Count 3: VIOLATION OF CALIFORNIA SONG-BEVERLY CONSUMER WARRANTY ACT
    Count 4: VIOLATION OF THE CALIFORNIA UNFAIR COMPETITION LAW
    Count 5: VIOLATION OF CALIFORNIA’S CONSUMER LEGAL REMEDIES ACT

Lawsuit 3 ‘fraudulent concealment’

Seems to me these are serious accusations and given Apple's prior behavior, they're not frivolous. Past behavior, specifically knowing full well the iPhone 6 was more bendable then prior models, and removed support structures which caused the logic board to break, yet charged customers stating it wasn't design but their fault. That lawsuit is still ongoing but when a company knows its product is defective or design is flawed but charges the customer to fix it, is not cool

7. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

The three independent lawsuits will probably never reach the trial phase.
    My guess is that some point they -may- be combined into a single class-action.

I believe we'll see a negotiated settlement in which Apple will "extend the warranty" on the 2016/17 MacBook Pro's (for the keyboard issue only) to five years, offering free replacements to owners, whether they have purchased AppleCare previously or not.

Pretty much what they finally offered for owners of RadeonGate-affected 2011 MacBook Pro's...

8. Closingracer macrumors 68040

My point is simply suing a company is fairly easy . Getting it be heard in court and winning the lawsuit is harder not factoring in money issues and so forth.

With the keyboard it’s still has yet to be proven the keyboard is a wide blown issue or the vocal geek community just complaining because people just love to do it.

The iPhone 6 bendgate is stupid . It’s made out of aluminum and of course under the right amount of pressure it will . It’s like complaining the ice melt if you put it in an oven on at 350°F . Of course it will melt. Now given that it is wrong for Apple to charge to fix it then.

9. simonmet, Jun 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2018

simonmet macrumors 68000

simonmet

I’d say Apple don’t want to inflame the negative press by announcing the repair program now with no apparent fix available. They’ll do so quietly after fixing the issue (meaning MacBook updates) and then offer to refund anyone who paid for the repair.
    It makes me kind of sick to think that this is what Apple has become. It’s clear Tim Cook judges his success as being solely Apple’s bottom line and the size of his bonus package. Steve Jobs took a more balanced and nuanced approach that treated profitability, quality and customer experience in a more integrated and equal way; recognising that the latter helps drive the former in a non-heavy handed manner compared with heavy-handed profiteering alone.

Being a co-founder and saviour of Apple, Jobs had the capacity to “stand up to Wall Street” in a way that Tim Cook doesn’t. Not every decision has to be about cutting costs and maximising. There are even risks in doing so and that, to me, can be bad economically. I’d say most of the executive (Federighi excluded) are getting fat and lazy and are just milking Apple’s teat until retirement at this point. There needs to be some generational change. Federighi seems like the best alternative leader at present.

10. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 68000

New_Mac_Smell

Ironically, if Apple didn't care about profits and just gave everything away, then you wouldn't be complaining; they wouldn't exist.

People just need to relax and have faith, this isn't a Dell 89x00b2f, it's a MBP with millions sold, meaning millions of customers. Therefore there is great incentive to correct any faults from a consumer standpoint, and more support with the greater number of devices out there.

If there is any faults it'll be eventually shown in a court, if not then don't buy it or get something else if you're the sort of person whose paranoid about things. Personally, I'd much rather have the computer as it's super fast, lightweight, and great in just about every regard, and I've suffered 1 day downtime due to the keyboard. I wouldn't suffer a 3 year old computer just for the sake of avoiding that 1 day, that in my book is not good economics.

11. Lastgreen thread starter macrumors member

Is it too late to purchase Apple care? I attempted to do so on the Apple website but they said i need to make an appointment. I have never purchased Apple care before
    --- Post Merged, Jun 6, 2018 ---
    I'm hoping for a case like this actually lol it would be great

12. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 68000

New_Mac_Smell

You can purchase Apple Care up to 1 year after purchase, if after this point it may be possible but at manager discretion. Just make sure you're looking for Apple Care and not Apple Care + (Which covers accidental damage), as that's only purchasable for the first couple of months I believe.

13. deeddawg macrumors 604

Got a link? AC (non-plus) is proving a bit elusive to me at the moment, so it likely isn't going to be easy for the OP to find either.

14. Joined:
    Oct 24, 2016
    I'm prolly in the minority, but I believe that Apple will eventually fix the issue for free. I would not be surprised if they started producing 2017 models with keyboards or figured out a keyboard replacement that was different and lasted.

15. Lastgreen thread starter macrumors member

im also being a bit optimistic about this but we may not see it anytime soon... maybe the next 2 years lool