keylight(1.2) VS FCP keyer

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by theblob, Aug 10, 2008.

1. theblob macrumors newbie

I have a lot of footage shot on DV tape using a PD-170. I have usually used FCP 4.5 to do my keying with average results. recently i got after effects and have started to use the Keylight(1.2) plug in. its controls are good, but i am having a lot of trouble getting rid of the severe edge pixilation. am i missing something here, i have been through a few tutorials and although my original footage doesnt have the best edge lighting on FCPs keyer it is much better than keylight??

:confused:

2. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

I prefer FCP's keyer. I don't know that it's more powerful than Keylight, but I'm just more used to FCP's, I guess.

You will probably have to put up with some amount of green fringe because DV is probably the worst format you could use for keying. :)

What helps me sometimes is to generate a grayscale mask of the key, then apply some blur and levels/threshold to re-sharpen the edges and make them more smooth curves instead of pixelated, then apply that as a track matte in FCP. That gets pretty complicated though.