Keylogger on my Macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by epik3, Mar 6, 2011.

1. epik3 macrumors newbie

After having various accounts hacked 3 times over the course of about six months I've started to consider the idea that I have had a keylogger installed on my macbook. I know of the person who is doing it, and while I live in BC, Canada, the person who hacked my accounts lives in Washington so it would've had to of come over the internet. In the last instance, I had a hotmail account, facebook, xbox live (through xbox.com I'd assume), website, web host, and email account associated with website stolen within 24 hours. All privacy settings set up, 16 digit password including numbers and letters, and a different password on almost every account. Nevertheless, I lost everything almost in an instance, and again this was the 3rd time.

I've scoured through Activity Monitor trying to find something suspicious, but beyond that I don't know a whole lot about Internet security on macs, how can I go about finding out for sure?

2. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

reinstall OSX

if there is a logger(software based), i'd reinstall everything. that sucks bro.

3. eman macrumors 6502a

Make sure you don't have screen sharing turned on and hopefully, you're not using wifi without a password.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The only way you can get a keylogger installed on your Mac is if you install it yourself or give someone else access to install it. If you have your firewall enabled, you use complex passwords for everything, and you're very careful about when you enter your admin password, you don't need to worry about being hacked or keyloggers, unless you intentionally give someone access to your Mac.