Keylogger on my MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Macdeez, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Macdeez macrumors member

Hello everyone!

I think I might have a keylogger on my mbp because yesterday both my facebook and my email were hacked! I clicked on one of those stupid video links and a few hours later it told me my password was incorrect when I tried to log in again. I tried resetting my facebook password and got on for 2 minutes but then I got logged off again and the same process kept happening until I gave up.

The email I use isn't associated with my facebook account at all and a few hours after my facebook was hacked, the email password was changed and obviously hacked. I tried to retrieve my email password but I made it a long time ago and I really can't remember any of the security questions that I put in. I emailed Microsoft about it and I'm still waiting for a reply.

I've been cautious enough not to open websites associated with my credit card like amazon, paypal and ebay. I didn't touch my online banking account either so I don't think the hacker or program will be able to get a hold of it.

I don't actually know what's going on but if you guys can give me some insight on what it might be and how I can get rid of it that would be great. I'm just really worried about losing more to this person like my university email, amazon account etc...

Thank you very much in advance! Any help is greatly appreciated :)

2. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

Are you on Snow Leopard? What's your current OS?
    Have you visited websites requiring your permission to run a Java applet?
    Have you downloaded files that didn't contain what you thought, maybe inserting your administrator password when prompted?

It's unlikely a keylogger or a malware of this sort.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Your Mac wasn't hacked and you don't have a keylogger, unless you installed it yourself. You may have been the victim of a phishing scam, where you gave your password to the scammer, or your email account was hacked, which has nothing to do with your computer at all.

Change your passwords to something complex, with numbers, special characters and upper and lower case letters.

Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released over 10 years ago. You cannot infect your Mac simply by visiting a website, unzipping a file, opening an email attachment or joining a network. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which cannot infect your Mac unless you actively install them, and they can be easily avoided with some basic education, common sense and care in what software you install. Also, Mac OS X Snow Leopard and Lion have anti-malware protection built in, further reducing the need for 3rd party antivirus apps.
    1. Make sure your built-in Mac firewall is enabled in System Preferences > Security > Firewall
    2. Uncheck "Enable Java" in Safari > Preferences > Security.
    3. Uncheck "Open "safe" files after downloading" in Safari > Preferences > General
    4. Be careful to only install software from trusted, reputable sites. Never install pirated software. If you're not sure about an app, ask in this forum before installing.
    5. Never let someone else have physical access to install anything on your Mac.
    6. Always keep your Mac and application software updated. Use Software Update for your Mac software. For other software, it's safer to get updates from the developer's site or from the menu item "Check for updates", rather than installing from any notification window that pops up while you're surfing the web.
    That's all you need to do to keep your Mac completely free of any virus, trojan, spyware, keylogger, or other malware. You don't need any 3rd party software to keep your Mac secure.