keylogger

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Agent6, May 5, 2009.

1. Agent6 macrumors newbie

Does anybody know of a good keylogger that i can install in my MAC notebook?

2. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

What's the legal status of keylogging software? Does it differ by state?

My question is, can a person be held liable for crime or invasion of privacy? From another keylogger request thread, if party A is purposefully capturing the private information of party B without party B being aware of it even though party B is unauthorized to access the computer, are there any legal consequences?

Even if I logged the traffic, I think it'd be a little unethical to install a keylogger on my own machine in hopes of catching someone in the act.

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

If it is a business computer owned by the company it's perfectly legal. Suppose you the company finds someone using the machine after hours and they want to find out who/what. It's legal since it's their computer. A personal computer might be a different story

4. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

See, that's what I'm not sure about. A person has a reasonable right to privacy even on business property. If I use the computer that was assigned to me during lunch to check my bank account, do my employers have a right to know my username and password? Just a hypothetical.

The reason I ask about differences in states is because I'm wondering if this might legally be like recording a conversation. In some states, both parties have to explicitly consent and in others, not.

If I explicitly consent that I will be keylogged, then so be it, but I think I'd be pretty upset if I found out about this after the fact.

The nature of my work makes this a non-issue for me, but I think it'd be interesting to know. Any lawyers out there?

5. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Most hiring contracts will state that anything you do on your work computer is subject to being logged. So technically yes, they can know your bank username and password.

If that is not in your contract or what have you (HR would know) then they would not.