Keylogger

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by oliver100, Jul 12, 2009.

1. oliver100 macrumors newbie

I have reason to believe my ex installed a keylogger on my Macbook. He gave my laptop to me for Xmas and did me the "favor" of setting it up for me. I know they are nearly impossible to detect, and at this point I know I need to do a system restore to be sure that my computer isnt being compromised....but is there any way to know whether he did this?

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

there are keyloggers for osx that parents install to watch what their kids are doing. I looked up a few on google "keylogger mac", and they brag that they are indetectable.

Safest thing to do is just erase your hard disk and reinstall from the install disks.

3. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

If you're that untrusting of the person, then I think you have a bigger issue than a key logger. Installing a program like Little Snitch would likely be able to block any key logger from sending out any log details. A fresh install would be a good idea though.

4. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

OP, post back if Little Snitch tells you what's installed. TripWire is another app I read that looks for keyloggers.

5. doox00 macrumors regular

if its an app running won't top show it? There is not a way to bring up a task manager type thing to show all open programs/services in osx?

6. lancestraz macrumors 6502a

lancestraz

There is a way, Activity Monitor.app. Wouldn't really help though. You would need to know the process' name. I really doubt it would be named "KEYLOGGER_IBESPYINONU", or something like that.

7. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

LOL!!!! I should make one just to name it that. :D

Most of them boast that Activity Monitor won't show them running though.

8. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Do a full reinstall. If a rootkit has been installed, chances are it's actually in charge of the operating system, rather than just leeching off the top of it.

9. apersianboyCOM macrumors 6502

I would buy a new hard drive and use that with a fresh install of OSX!

10. savoirfaire macrumors 6502

savoirfaire

I almost replied to this... why do people keep resurrecting threads from months (or even YEARS) ago?

11. DeepIn2U macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

Because if the topic IS the same - its saves costs of the domain owner, makes searches more useful/relevant as all information is in one place, and well for me this IS helpful.

I'm curious, if these "rootkit" keyloggers are undetectable;
    1) is Apple working on a way to patch this in updates?
    2) Is there a generic command to invoke these apps to load a GUI front end, or txt front end in Terminal to actually SEE if its installed? Saving the op, and others from purging data needlessly and starting everything from scratch?!

12. chili macrumors member

i would still go for the fresh install

:apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple: