Keyloggers and rootkits

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mike mikey, Nov 19, 2008.

1. mike mikey macrumors newbie

What options are there for scanning 10.5.5 for rootkits?
    What options are there for scanning for keyloggers?

Doing a quick search I couldn't find any.
    What I did find was many companies selling keyloggers for OS X.
    There must be utilities out there for checking if my OS is compromised. Things like "Little Snitch" provide me with little comfort, as I know a firewall would never catch the well written malware I want to check for.
    (and yes, many strangers have had admin access to this machine)

2. portent macrumors 6502a

The best thing to do, then, is to back up, wipe, and re-install. If a system has been badly compromised, then no tool can be trusted to detect or repair it.

3. Viper2005 macrumors 6502

Viper2005

Don't forget you are running one of the most secure operating system out there.
    There are very very few malwares for OSX. If you were running windows I would be more concerned, but its very hard to get malware on OSX.
    Why do u believe your system is compromised? If you believe someonehas deliberately installed a keylogger then yes I would do a reinstall of OSX.
    But I wouldn't worry about catching malware thru web surfing (even from p*rn or w*rez sites) like you would on a windows machine.

4. HiFiGuy528 macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

You don't need to scan OS X for those things unless you are running Windows. Why would you, right?

Seriously, do a clean install if you think your Mac was compromised.

May I suggest 1Password. Use it and you will never have to worry about key logger again.