Keynote and which MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cfitz7111, Oct 25, 2009.

1. cfitz7111 macrumors 6502

Hi all-
    Long story short is that I am starting my own consulting company after being laid off from my education administrative job of nearly 10 years, and will be utilizing Keynote for my presentation. The Keynote itself will be mostly assembled on my MacMini, and only minor tweaks, updates, etc. would happen on the MBP

I have a couple of questions for the road warriors out there.

•Which MBP would you suggest using for the actual Keynote presentation?
    •Is the MB Air even worth considering?
    •Though not needed right now, would the rumored extra power of the new MBP, whenever they are released, be worth it?

I am most likely going to go the refurb route because of cost.
    Because of cost the 17 is not really an option.

Which projector would you suggest? I know nothing about projectors, but from what I have heard you get what you pay for.

Any other tips hints, suggestions, bashing, encouragement are more then welcomed.

Thanks

2. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

From my use of Keynote, I think any of the MacBooks would handle the application very well, from the white MacBook to the MacBook Air, up to the 17" MacBook Pro.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Keynote's system requirements are such that you don't need to choose a particular MBP because of that. I'd rather look at the size of the model and does using that model fit your needs. The 13" is more mobile, but has less screen real estate.

I recommend going to your local apple store and trying both out, only you can ultimately make the decision because its your money.

4. cfitz7111 thread starter macrumors 6502

I have tried them both and understand that any of the current hardware can handle Keynote itself.

My question I guess is geared towards the people who do Keynotes or PP's on a regular basis, if the extra real estate of the 15 is worth the added expense? Is the MBAir just based on the portability alone worth it?

Thanks

5. Betelgeuse macrumors member

If you're going to mostly be creating the Keynote/PP files on a desktop machine, I would go for the notebook that's the smallest (and/or cheapest). In other words, when you're giving the presentations, you're not going to care because you're going to be doing it on a projector (right?). So, if you're not going to actually be working on the machine much (or using the screen), I would optimize for portability.

6. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

Unless I'm missing something, presenter's tools shows two slides, so even on a 13", you will be able to see the slides in detail. The extra real estate, therefore, would only help the multiple slides preview (I know that on my 15" its decent enough to read, but I wish I could adjust the slide size and the amount of slides shown...oh well).

7. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

You are correct about the slides. Editing slides on a smaller screen is one thing, but even on my 17" at any decent distance away from the notebook, texts really isn't that readable, besides titles. In short: get the 13".

8. iCheddar macrumors 6502a

iCheddar

I've done a few presentations using Keynote and my 13" MBP, all of them went quite well.

I was able to see both the current and upcoming slides clearly, and assuming you'll be presenting in 1024x768 the resolution of the 13" is plenty adequate.

I'd also recommend getting the Pro over the Air simply because of unpredictability. You never know when someone you're working with, or a client will bring in files/media on a CD instead of a flash drive. I've had that happen before, and was glad I didn't have to do the "Oh I'll look at it when I get home" thing.