Keynote file not opening!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by baiyang, Feb 8, 2012.

1. baiyang, Feb 8, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2012

baiyang macrumors newbie

baiyang

I have a large keynote file containing over 70 slides. The file is over 50 MB.

I experienced problems opening it earlier; the progress of opening took several minutes in which it seemed to freeze. Yesterday, after adding another large proportion of slides (leading to the file described above), the app was running fine. However, after starting my Mac this morning, the long loading process repeated itself but this time without any result.

After several minutes in which the progress bar sticks to about 1/3, a message pops up from keynote simply stating: Can't open file "*filename*.key"

I have tried about everything; closing every single application including background applications. Even cleaned up to free HD space (17GB free).

I run 2GB RAM. During the opening process I noticed the following in my memory:
    Wired 206 MB
    Active 1.2 GB
    Inactive 610 MB
    Free 2 MB

When running normal it looks more like this:
    Wired 210 MB
    Active 900 MB
    Inactive 90 MB
    Free 800 MB

I run MacOSX 10.6.8 on a 4 year old MacBook. It's not smooth but does the job and I keep the system clean.

I'm really desperate for a diagnosis and a solution! Anyone?

2. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Try trashing the Keynote plist, which you'll find in Home Folder>Library>Preferences> com.apple.iWork.Keynote.plist

Failing that try running it in another account.

3. baiyang thread starter macrumors newbie

baiyang

There's no plist for keynote in that folder. I did however find an iwork09 plist that I deleted. No luck. Same story opening in a different account (on the same Mac).

It's 30 MB brother from my backups still opens, although it's a slow process all the same.