Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Texas_Toast

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 6, 2016
Texas
Hello. I am learning iMovie, and wanted to use Keynote to create slides for my video.

Unfortunately, I cannot find Keynote on my Retina MBP running macOS Sierra.

And apparently you can no longer download that from the AppStore?! :-(

What are my options?

I just want to make slides for iMovie, so if I cannot get a copy of Keynote, maybe there are other easy to learn and use options?

headlessmike

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2017
The latest versions of Keynote require macOS Mojave or newer, so upgrading your OS might be an option. But I thought that older versions could still be downloaded from the App Store. I'm pretty sure that I can still do that on my old iMac that is stuck on High Sierra.

Texas_Toast

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 6, 2016
Texas
The latest versions of Keynote require macOS Mojave or newer, so upgrading your OS might be an option. But I thought that older versions could still be downloaded from the App Store. I'm pretty sure that I can still do that on my old iMac that is stuck on High Sierra.

No, it doesn't work for macOS Sierra.

(I must have deleted Keynote years ago when I first got my Retina MBP to save space. Who would've known all these years later I would want/need it?!) :-(

headlessmike

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2017
No, it doesn't work for macOS Sierra.

(I must have deleted Keynote years ago when I first got my Retina MBP to save space. Who would've known all these years later I would want/need it?!) :-(

I found this solution that might work for you:

Reactions: Mr_Brightside_@

Texas_Toast

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 6, 2016
Texas
I found this solution that might work for you:

Thanks for the info.

My concern is that first link is NOT to Apple, but to...
Code:
http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite.net/content.info.apple.com/iWork/Trial/2Z693-6764.01022009.awq23/iWork09Trial.dmg

Who is edgesuite?

And how do I know I'm not installing some root kit on my Mac?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
If...
- you don't have it
- and Apple no longer makes it available to you
then...
- you'll have to GET it wherever you can FIND it.

Erehy Dobon

Suspended
Feb 16, 2018
No service
Who is edgesuite?

And how do I know I'm not installing some root kit on my Mac?
Edgesuite.net is an Internet domain name owned by Akamai Technologies, a publicly traded company (NASDAQ: AKAM) and S&P 500 component.

Akamai pioneered the Content Delivery Network (CDN) in the late Nineties.

Erehy Dobon

Suspended
Feb 16, 2018
No service
Apple has been using edgesuite.net for years.

If you don't trust edgesuite.net, don't install anything from any of Apple's various app stores: Mac App Store, iOS App Store, etc. Don't even install any operating system updates.

They have pretty much all been served up by the edgesuite.net CDN domain for well over a decade.

It's entirely up to you however it is likely that you have downloaded and installed terabytes of software from edgesuite.net over the years, Mr. Security Guru.

If you really want to walk the walk, delete everything from Apple you have ever downloaded. Stick with installation CDs and DVDs purchased from a bricks-and-mortar Apple Store.

Best of luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: mikzn

Texas_Toast

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 6, 2016
Texas
Apple has been using edgesuite.net for years.

And I would know that how???

If you don't trust edgesuite.net, don't install anything from any of Apple's various app stores: Mac App Store, iOS App Store, etc. Don't even install any operating system updates.

And I would have known that how???

They have pretty much all been served up by the edgesuite.net CDN for well over a decade.

Well, if that is the case, then maybe it isn't as dangerous as it seems.

Why couldn't you have just said that MINUS the sarcasm?

There is nothing wrong with looking at the whole URl and questioning it's source.

Most people lose their rears because they see "apple.com" nested as a sub-domain to some unknown domain and end up getting powned.

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
other options ?

check for any back ups that you might have or even original CD's DVD's from older Mac's and copy the Keynote app to your applications folder - after you open it and use it / reboot / etc it will probably offer to upgrade to the Sierra version.

Does the full install of Sierra include Keynote? - if so and you have an external bootable drive you could do a full Sierra install on the external drive (temporarily) and then drag the Keynote app from that drive to the internal drive on your MacBookPro9.2 - Maybe someone on these forums knows if Keynote comes with the full install?

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2019
@Texas_Toast , on your Sierra machine, open the App Store and go to your "Purchased" tab.

1. Is Keynote listed there?
2. If so, what happens when you click "Install"

You should get the option to download the last compatible version. This only works for the Purchased tab, and I've done it many times. If Keynote isn't yet associated with your Apple ID, then you usually need to buy/add the app on a newer machine, and then install from the Purchased tab on your older machine.

This trick has very consistently worked for me with App Store apps, but lately some people have started telling me it doesn't work for them. So, I'm actually very interested to hear what the situation is...

Texas_Toast

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 6, 2016
Texas
check for any back ups that you might have or even original CD's DVD's from older Mac's and copy the Keynote app to your applications folder - after you open it and use it / reboot / etc it will probably offer to upgrade to the Sierra version.

Does the full install of Sierra include Keynote? - if so and you have an external bootable drive you could do a full Sierra install on the external drive (temporarily) and then drag the Keynote app from that drive to the internal drive on your MacBookPro9.2 - Maybe someone on these forums knows if Keynote comes with the full install?

I do have the full macOS Sierra installer...

Is there some way that I can open that up and grab Keynote, or would I have to install the whole OS?

Come to think of it, though, I don't recall deleting Keynote from my two Retina MBPs with Sierra, so maybe Sierra just didn't come with Keynote after all?

Last edited:

Texas_Toast

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 6, 2016
Texas
@Texas_Toast , on your Sierra machine, open the App Store and go to your "Purchased" tab.

All I see is iMovie and OS El Capitan.

You should get the option to download the last compatible version.

That happened when I downlaoded iMovie - since my Retuna didn't have iMovie installed.

This only works for the Purchased tab, and I've done it many times. If Keynote isn't yet associated with your Apple ID, then you usually need to buy/add the app on a newer machine, and then install from the Purchased tab on your older machine.

This trick has very consistently worked for me with App Store apps, but lately some people have started telling me it doesn't work for them. So, I'm actually very interested to hear what the situation is...

So I'd have to installs omething like Mojave, buy Keynote, and then go back to one of my Sierra machines and try to install it there?

And would I actually have to BUY Keynote? (I thought it was free?)

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2019
And would I actually have to BUY Keynote? (I thought it was free?)
It is free, but you still have to "add it to your purchased list". I use the word "purchase" for lack of a better term.

So I'd have to installs omething like Mojave, buy Keynote, and then go back to one of my Sierra machines and try to install it there?
Correct! You could also use a Virtual Machine, or a friend's computer. Or, if there's anyone you trust well enough, you could even change your Apple ID password temporarily, and have a friend log in on their computer to "purchase" Keynote for you.

Is there some way that I can open that up and grab Keynote, or would I have to install the whole OS?

I'm quite sure the Sierra installer does not come with Keynote. But, if it did, you'd be able to extract it via Pacifist.

Last edited:
Reactions: Texas_Toast

Texas_Toast

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 6, 2016
Texas
It is free, but you still have to "add it to your purchased list". I use word "purchase" for lack of a better term.

Correct! You could also use a Virtual Machine, or a friend's computer. Or, if there's anyone you trust well enough, you could even change your Apple ID password temporarily, and have a friend log in on their computer to "purchase" Keynote for you.

I'm quite sure the Sierra installer does not come with Keynote. But, if it did, you'd be able to extract Keynote via Pacifist.

Thanks for the wisdom.

What a PITA...

I swear all I have done this month is deal with broken accounts and technology... :(

Is Keynote that much better than the alternatives that it's worth the hastele for me to get it? (I'm trying to get into creating professional looking videos in iMovie.)

It would help if I could figure out my exosting problem with iMovie and LibreOffice Presentation to determine if it's worth the trouble to get Keynote...

Texas_Toast

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 6, 2016
Texas
@Wowfunhappy,

Presumably the way you create a bootable USB installer with Mojave on it is the same way you'd create a bootable USB installer in the past, correct?

If so, I wrote myself a guide on how to do that - assuming that I can find it on my computers - and I have the full Mjoave installer, so I could create a bootable USB instalelr and then install Mojave quickly on a blank hard-drive all just to get Keynote?! :rolleyes:

Btw, is it possible to boot up from a bottable USB instalelr with Mojave on it, and then install Mojave on an external HDD also plugged into my MBP?

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2019
Btw, is it possible to boot up from a bottable USB instalelr with Mojave on it, and then install Mojave on an external HDD also plugged into my MBP?

I think so, it's been many years since I used Mac OS on an external drive, but I believe the installer still lets you do that.

I do think a VM would be the simplest route though, and it's what I use myself. Virtualbox, the free option, is a total PITA for Mac guests, but VMWare Fusion makes the process very smooth, and they have a free trial you could use.

Last edited:

Texas_Toast

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 6, 2016
Texas
I think so, it's been many years since I used Mac OS on an external drive, but I believe the installer still lets you do that.

I do think a VM would be the simplest route though, and it's what I use myself. Virtualbox, the free option, is a total PITA for Mac guests, but VMWare Fusion makes the process very smooth, and they have a free trial you could use.

Can anyone else confirm if I insert a USB drive into my MBP, boot up to this botoable USB instalelr with Mojave on it, can I then install Mojave onto an external HDD and leave my MBP's internal SSD alone?

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto
Yeah you can do that. Then download Keynote for free so it's tied to your Apple ID. Then go back to Sierra and you can download the last compatible version of Keynote for it. I've got Mojave on an SD card for this purpose.

Reactions: Texas_Toast

olegunnar

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2013

You should get the option to download the last compatible version. This only works for the Purchased tab, and I've done it many times. If Keynote isn't yet associated with your Apple ID, then you usually need to buy/add the app on a newer machine, and then install from the Purchased tab on your older machine.

I can confirm this.

I just ran into this exact issue with Keynote. It wouldn't install when finding it in the app store via a search, because I'm on 10.14, not 10.15. It was, however, in my list of purchases and there I could install a compatible version.

Stupid.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.