Keynote on Projector Question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Aperture, Jan 5, 2008.

1. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

I will be running a scoreboard for an event off of Keynote 08 to an LCD projector. I'd like to be able to update the scoreboard (which is essentially a slide with a chart on it) without the audience seeing it being updated.

When I am then satisfied with the changes, I'd like the slide being shown to the audience to update. Also, if it is possible I could also just show a slide with just some text saying it is being updated.. Is there anyway to do either of these two?

If not, I suppose I can just use the picture mute function on the projector but I think these two instances I mentioned above would make the presentation run smoother.

Any help is much appreciated!

2. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

You should be able to 'freeze' what's on the screen, make your updates, then 'unfreeze' the slide. The change will simply 'pop' on the score. I do this on the presentations for my high school sometimes.

3. Aperture thread starter macrumors 68000

Aperture

iSaint, do you think you could expand upon how to do this? I have my MBP connected to the projector. When I enter a Keynote presentation, it shows it on the projector and also brings up the presenter view on my MBP. If I click ESC on my MBP to try and get back to where I can make changes, it closes the presentation.

4. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

You could set the projector as an extended desktop and set the desktop image as your "update coming" slide. I think this would work.

5. Aperture thread starter macrumors 68000

Aperture

That'll work! Thanks a lot!

6. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I think it might anyway -- I'd check it out beforehand if possible.

Incidentally if it does work, you can export the desktop slide from Keynote, so it has the same template as your other slides. A cute trick, if it works!

7. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

With the remote for my projector, there's a "Freeze" button that holds the slide on the screen no matter what you do to your computer (unless you go to another program, at which case your computer screen may go to sleep causing the projector to lose signal). I "Freeze" when necessary, either go forward a slide, or esc to edit, then unfreeze for the new view.

8. Aperture thread starter macrumors 68000

Aperture

I just wanted to post an update for anyone looking to do a similar setup... All I did was connected the projector, set it up as an extended desktop, & changed the desktop picture to the graphic I made.

The menu bar remained on my main (MBP) screen but the dock was on the projector so I turned on hiding and it worked out excellently. Thanks again for the idea.

9. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly