Keynote or Powerpoint for MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by crackstein, Aug 5, 2010.

1. crackstein macrumors member

crackstein

Ok. The school is going to start soon. Since I got my Mac recently, I'm wondering which one should I buy. I used to use powerpoint on my windows pc. So I'm used to with it. Which one should I buy? I want unbiased answers.

And if you know any good education softwares for mac, please share it here. Thanks

2. FourCandles macrumors 6502a

Both are available as trials before purchase - why not see which you prefer?

3. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

The general consensus (which I agree with strongly) is that Keynote is miles ahead of Powerpoint in features and looks. If you're only going to run presentations from your computer, definitely would suggest Keynote.

However, as always, if compatibility is an issue, PowerPoint will generally be better. If you expect to need to exchange files between your computer and PC's, PowerPoint will give you fewer issues (though even that's not perfect).

jW

4. coachingguy macrumors 6502a

coachingguy

Lets be honest, what do you expect the answer to be here? I haven't used P.P. in 3 years. As a matter of fact last September, I uninstalled all Office software. Heavy P.P. users who see my Keynotes, always ask me about it. "How did you do..." "How long did it take you to do..."

Keynote. End. Of. Story.

Coachingguy

5. chezhoy macrumors regular

chezhoy

I agree w/coachingguy. I had Office 2008 on my MacBook and just uninstalled it the other day. There was an Office update and the update wouldn't work, so I uninstalled it. I sent a PowerPoint from my work to home after I uninstalled it and it opened fine in Keynote.

6. crackstein thread starter macrumors member

crackstein

7. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

Nice. Apparently the transitions on Keynote are epic. I've never used it, as I have Office :( I only got it because it was discounted with my MB, though, and when it's time to upgrade I'm definitely getting iWork.

8. supperbatman macrumors newbie

You won't regret about that.

9. powerman macrumors regular

powerman

As someone that used PC's exclusively for years and PP to do alot of slideshows, I switched to a mac, vista and new microsoft PP related anger issues, I bought Iwork with it. I love keynote. It is so easy, intuitive, and can send the finished product to many other apps to publish if that is what you want. My wife is computer eliterate and she is making slideshows that have moving objects, movies, music, recorded voice, and timing. All doable with PP but not easy, Keynote very easy. This seems to be a trend with everything we have done with the mac. I have to remember the mac is user friendly, and I don't have to fight with a computer to get it to do what I want. This is only after 2-3 weeks use with the mac.:eek:

10. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

Was a PC/PP user and I have Office for Mac on my MBP. Bit I got iWork and use Pages and Keynote more and more. Keynote now for ALL of my lectures and presentations. If a PC friend of mine needs or wants touse one of my presentations, I can simply save it as a PP doc and send it to him or transfer to a memory stick. Keynote is so much better than PP, IMO.

11. C42D macrumors newbie

Keynote rules. I have made a fortune doing high end presentations for corporate clients.