Keynote Pages and Numbers

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by tomwvr, Mar 18, 2013.

1. tomwvr macrumors regular

tomwvr

Folks - looking at getting a new 27 inch Imac - are these three programs capable replacements for the Microsoft Office items? I have never seen these programs and want to know what the feeling is out there - 60.00 to get them preinstalled on a new machine. Whould you all go with MS Office or the Apple Items?

Thanks
    I havent used a MAC since the SE - getting back to Apple very soon

2. melva macrumors member

Go with Apple iWork Apps

First Mac since 1986- it's a little bit different experience now!

Since you've been using MSoft all these years you'd initially be happier with MSoft but with a short learning curve the seamless integration of the Apple iWork suite will keep you happier in the long run. The added advantage of integration with the iPhone and iPad apps, plus icloud is icing on the cake..

PS. Get the Fusion Drive and add Crucial aftermarket memory

3. MLinneer macrumors regular

MLinneer

iWork vs Office

Having both installed on my systems, let me start with what few will tell you... iWork is not and never was designed to be a replacement for Office. Having said that, it really depends on your workflow and what you intend to do.

iWork is predominantly designed for printed output. Office is for in-depth text and number crunching. While Pages will open and export Word .doc files, I've run into constant issues with preserving layout, object placement, and tables. Numbers will open and export Excel files with much better faithfulness. While it doesn't come close to Excel in raw power and number crunching tools, it surpasses it in layout. A simple thing like a blue guide to indicate the center of the page when moving a chart is sorely missing in Excel. Numbers treats each table and chart like a separate object which can be moved anywhere on the page. Fantastic for printed or PDF reports but you can only fully collaborate with other Numbers users. Numbers will export each table and chart to it's own tab in Excel.

Also consider that all the iWork programs will open Office files, but will not save them. You have to export a copy, meaning every file you need in Office format you now have 2 files... document.pages and document.doc for example. Keeping versions straight can be a hassle.

I've also been disappointed with the iCloud feature. iWork for Mac and iWork for iOS are two seperate suites that use different file formats, each with their own idiosyncrasies. If you're sharing between desktop and laptop, you'll do better with Dropbox.

If you plan on sharing files or collaborating with anyone using Office, then you can save a lot of extra work and headaches by just getting Office, or at the very least download LibreOffice 4. LibreOffice has better support for Office formats than iWork, especially DOCX and XLSX, and it's free. I have it on all my systems... just in case.

Personally, I prefer and use Office 2011, Dropbox, and SkyDrive for all my document and data sharing between my iMac, Macbook Air, iPad, and work PC's.

4. tomwvr thread starter macrumors regular

tomwvr