Keynote presentation format conversion

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cephbirk, Jul 12, 2012.

1. cephbirk macrumors newbie

Hello,

I have a question regarding video conversion.I have a Keynote presentation that I need to convert to a .wmv or .mpeg format. I can easily convert it to a .mov file but then I encounter an issue after that...

I'm presenting the presentation live for a symposium so I need to have control of the slide transitions and animations. When I convert the Keynote file to a .mov file through the Keynote app, it maintains my control of the transitions and animations. Each time I hit the spacebar or mouse, it moves to the next animation just as you can do in Powerpoint.

Now my issue is that whenever I try to convert the .mov file to any other format, I lose control of the transitions. There are no pauses between animations and the whole presentation plays through non-stop like a movie (not good if I need to talk about every slide!).

Can anybody help me figure out how to maintain my control of the transitions? I don't really know what Keynote does to "embed" the transition control into the .mov file but using .mov files has worked great for me in the past, but this new symposium I'm going to demands only .wmv or .mpeg formats. I'm desperate so any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

2. screensaver400 macrumors 6502a

Any such feature would likely be player-dependent. E.g., even the .MOV version wouldn't work if you tried it in a player besides Quicktime. I don't know of a way to do this with WMV or MPEG, and even if there were, you couldn't know for sure that it would actually work until you tried it with the specific player the event uses.

They really won't let you use a PPT, PDF, or (ideally) your own laptop/iPad?

3. aarond12 macrumors 65816

aarond12

If you time it right, you can play/pause your .MOV file using the space bar. Something like this:

[space]transition[space] ... talk about your slide ... [space]transition[space]

Not an elegant solution but it will work.

4. briguy21 macrumors newbie

There are several programs that will allow you to convert the file to WMV or MPEG.

I did a quick google search for

movie converter for windows free

found several freeware, I don't have much experience with movie conversion on windows, I will tell you that on the mac exporting to mp4 is going to yield great results, then all you need to do is install quicktime on the windows machine and you can play on windows no problem, then you won't have to worry about the headaches of conversion or other issues.

----------

Another option is to export to .ppt and then you can easily use that on windows? Have you considered taking your mac and a dongle to video out?

Have you considered taking an iPad 2 or 3 with the hdmi video out and using keynote on the iPad?

Brian

5. cephbirk thread starter macrumors newbie

screensaver400,

You're right I tried playing the .mov file with VLC rather than Quicktime and I had no control of transitions. Good idea to try out.

They will let me use PPT but I've been reluctant because I find Keynote to be far superior to PowerPoint. I really enjoy giving an elegant presentation... but I guess ppt will have to do.

----------

Unfortunately I am not allowed to install Quicktime on their computer or use my own computer. I might try .ppt conversion but the conversion is not very accurate from most of the times I've previously tried it. Lots of errors to fix. I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and go with PowerPoint.

Thanks for all the advice everyone!