Keynote Presentations With iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Seo, Feb 22, 2010.

1. Seo macrumors regular

I don't have a laptop so I need some way of hooking up a Mac to a projector. Right now I have to use screenshots and work them into PowerPoint presentations in order to have them play on PCs. I was hoping that an iPad would solve this problem.

My question is, since the iPad can display presentations on a projector screen through a VGA output adapter, is there any method of controlling the slides other than going over to the iPad and pressing the "next" button? I mean something like using the Apple Remote or the Keynote app on the iPhone OS. Something like the Apple Remote would require an IR sensor, which I'm not sure the iPad will have, and I won't always have access to a WiFi network both my deviscs can connect to. Has there been any word on this kind of thing so far?

Thanks guys,
    Seo

2. bobdard macrumors regular

I've been thinking about this as well. I'm sure Apple will update the (Keynote) Remote app for the iPhone to include the capability to control the iPad version of Keynote.

3. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Apple could well update the remote, and or we'll see the general suite of Apple apps get updates (so we've got the iWork apps coming, likely an update on the iDisk app, Remote app too).

4. nastebu macrumors 6502

Slightly off topic but...

Do you know about exporting keynote presentations to Quicktime? It works very well. You use the share menu and make sure that the "advance slides manually" checkbox is checked. Then all you need on the pc is quicktime and you can run a Keynote presentation with all the bells and whistles.

It works very well. With very complex slides it's actually a little smoother than just doing the presentation out of Keynote, but you do lose the ability to jump around out of order if the need arises.

The Quicktime Installer is a small file, so you can put it on a thumb drive with the presentation file.

5. Seo thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm, that's very helpful, thanks! But I won't be able to go back? Or will I just not be able to jump ahead a couple of slides? That shouldn't be a problem, because I'll be rehearsing my presentations on my Mac.

Is there anything else that I lose this way other than not being able to view my notes? Unfortunately, I don't think this will allow me to control the slides with any sort of remote, although it's quiet useful for sending presentations to PC users. I also see that it's a feature only available in Keynote '09. Should I wait it out until the predicted release date in summer?

Thanks for your help!

6. nastebu macrumors 6502

You can go back and forward very smoothly, but you can't go into that nice view where you can jump around the whole presentation. You're very right about not being able to see your notes though.

As for controlling the slide show, Quicktime seems to work with the same input that Powerpoint does, so if there's a remote on the PC that controls powerpoint, in my experience, that works with the Quicktime slides as well.

And I am absolutely convinced that I've used convert to Quicktime with Keynote 08. It might be located in a different place, but it works. On the other hand, if you haven't upgraded, Keynote 09 is very much worth it.

7. Seo thread starter macrumors regular

I doubt my school's PC laptops will have an IR port.

Really? Good to hear.

I've been using the Keynote '09 trial for a while and I'm curious to know what you find makes it worth the upgrade?

8. jazz1 macrumors 65816

jazz1

That is what I was hoping. I my iPhone last summer to control a Keynote presentation on the laptop that fed a projector. It was really nice to move around the room. I used the university wifi but I understand that you could go peer to peer in need be.

The large screen of the iPad would have be perfect. The iPhone's smaller screen was difficult to read. I did have to rely on the projected image of the presentation at times.

9. jameskohn macrumors 6502

apple remote and iPad

So how/when do we find out if the Apple remote will work with the iPad? That would be great for Keynote presentations!

10. jaykk macrumors 6502a

Bluetooth

Right now bluetooth profile is open only for keyboard. If somehow this profile can be extended, someone will come up with a bluetooth remote . May be PS3 bluetooth remote works with this one..i have that remote , going to test it when I get it.

11. admanimal macrumors 68040

The Apple Remote uses IR, and nothing in the iPad tech specs indicate that it has an IR receiver. I think they want you to control the slide show with the touch screen anyway, which is why they included all sorts of tools that let you draw on the slides and use the virtual laser pointer.

12. zedsdead macrumors 68040

I wasn't happy to see that there was no IR sensor in the dock either.

13. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

It's the PPT compatibility that I'm excited about. While I make all my own presentations in Keynote, I'm occasionally forced to use PowerPoint for one reason or another (presenting someone else's material usually). According to apple.com, the iPad version of Keynote will import and play PPT just as the desktop version does. Hooray!

14. Avicdar macrumors regular

The only place I've seen these tools mentioned (i.e. virtual laser pointer) is in the appleinsider story with hands on with the iPad at the launch. I'm guessing that the person who wrote the story didn't actually get to see this function working as they didn't have iPads hooked up to projectors.

Is there any evidence that this feature exists? Apple makes no mention of it at all on their detailed specs of Keynote for iPad. I'm wondering if that whole thing is a myth.

15. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

vid on youtube with a guy using it

16. Avicdar macrumors regular

got a link? searching youtube for ipad and keynote will of course get you the ipad launch keynote event and little else. :)

Nevermind found it..thanks!

17. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

It would be good to be able to control the iPad Key Notes with my iPhone, either by way of bluetooth or ad-hoc wifi.

18. Marx55 macrumors 65816

19. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

I believe you can save your presentations right into a powerpoint file.

20. jaykk macrumors 6502a

As per this thread, the the ipod 5g dock with s-video/IR works.

Modify an iPod 5G Dock to get Video and IR Control of your iPad for about $20

The OP didn't have keynote software to test. I am getting this Dock and Extender cable, will let you know if it works.

Then again, the output will be S-Video, not VGA.

The Sony Bluetooth remote for PS-3 don't work with iPad, it didn't recognize at all.

21. Zultner macrumors newbie

Remote control of Keynote for iPad

You can remotely control a Keynote presentation from your iPhone with Apple's Keynote Remote App -- through wifi. You can also use 2Screens to do this through through Bluetooth (for PowerPoint and PDFs too).

22. nightfly13 macrumors 6502a

nightfly13

Unfortunately this is an iPhone app - it sorely needs an iPad version. I teach from my notes attached to each slide - so having low-res iPhone-doubled notes is a very crude way to handle this.

23. PWNkake macrumors member

I'm doing what you want to do currently with 2screens, PDF, and my iPhone. I hook my iPad up to the projector and use my iPhone via Bluetooth to control the the show. The ipad is hooked to the projector and it shows the PDF file i make in PowerPoint.

I found that saving it as PDF keeps my fonts and spaces exact which is something i can't say for PowerPoint. It works great and I highly recommend it if you are showing pp slide shows all day err day like me. LoL

Again ,the app is 2screens and it needs to be installed via your iPhone and iPad.

Let me know if you have any questions. Coupled with a dropbox account, it's a pretty powerful setup.

24. Jfisc, May 5, 2011
    Last edited: May 5, 2011

Jfisc macrumors newbie

Presenting keynote on Ipad with Remote -- working solution!

I’VE GOTTEN A REMOTE TO WORK WITH KEYNOTE ON IPAD

I’m like evryone else wanting a remote to advance slides. Today I got my Apple Track Pad to work with my ipad advancing slides in Keynote though BLUETOOTH. Working perfectly.

Let me go through steps.
    1. Jailbroken Ipad (sorry only way around it)
    2. Install Bt Stack Mouse – Cydia
    3. Ran Bt Stack Mouse
    4. Put Track Pad in discovery mode (took several attempts)
    5. Once connected – it works like trackpad is supposed to. Pointer as well.

To use it around the room — press the round rubber buttons on bottom of track pad.

Currently going HDMI out – working perfectly.

Cannot backup — but it advances perfectly from across the room.

OTHER NOTE: Keynote Remote App — with BT Stack Mouse it does recognize “home iphone” but won’t advance to input passcode. Maybe soon that one will work.

Enjoy your presentations with BlueTooth Remote for Keynote Ipad.

UPDATE:
    Just got WeBE++ to control iPad keynote presentation from iPhone.

Steps: jailbreak iPad and iPhone - sorry only way around it
    Download and install BTstack Mouse - Cydia
    Download and install WeBe++ - Cydia
    Run BTstack mouse
    Run WeBe++

BTstack mouse will recognize WeBe++ as 'name iphone'
    Connect -
    Run keynote and load presentation - put presentation in play mode
    Click iPhone screen once to advance slides.

Very nice.