Keynote Problem

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Benjamindaines, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

It seems as though my presentation comes up with a blank screen whenever I start it, even advancing to the next slide does nothing. I have a video embedded on the first slide and it works fine if the video is removed (it's just a Quicktime File.... nothing fancy) and it works fine if I start it from a slide in the middle, but I can't get back to the first slide.

Any ideas?

2. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Do you have the video set to autoplay, or do you have to click to start playing it?

3. Benjamindaines thread starter macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

Happens either way.

4. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

If you add another slide before this one, can you start the slideshow and get the movie to play?

5. Benjamindaines thread starter macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

If I put a slide before it, the new slide will show, but I cannot advance to the next slide.

Now I have an odd 3 dots next the slide in the side panel...
    [​IMG]

6. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Is the Quicktime movie particularly large? Maybe it's taking a long time to load.

Can you play it when you aren't in presentation mode?

7. Benjamindaines thread starter macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

It's 2.5mb and I can play it when in edit mode by clicking it and then hitting the space bar.

8. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Hmm, as long as you can play it in edit mode, I don't know what else to say. I can try and play with Keynote when I get home...

Update:
    So, I was able to drag in a .mov file from the media browser in Keynote and play it just fine, either using the Inspector in Edit mode or in presentation mode. If you're having more problems, maybe try re-exporting the movie from wherever you created it, if possible. I'm not sure if it could be corrupted somehow, but I'm at the end of my expertise on this one.

Good luck.

9. Dros macrumors 6502

I have the very same problem. I cannot advance to the slide with the movie, although if I esc out it will have advanced to the movie slide, or beyond if I pressed the right arrow several times. A 2.2 Mb movie in the same presentation is fine, but not the 5 Mb, so maybe size is an issue.

edit: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1221036&tstart=0&start=15

allowing expose to use the screen in the keynote preferences made the video work, as suggested above. Strange, but it works!

10. Benjamindaines thread starter macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

Wow, oddly enough that worked! Also I have found that removing Perian (video codecs) allow the video to play, but with Exposé allowed to use the screen it works even with Perian installed.

11. rastogim macrumors newbie

previously had same prob

I previously had same problem, as I do alot of presentation with .mov or .avi file. What I found was that certain compression version of the file don't play in actual presentor form and will lock keynote. They play within quicktime and qucktimetime within keynote. but not in presentor form.

My solution was to open the .mov file in quicktime pro and then export it with slightly different resolution, or compression engine and then it worked fine when reimported into keynote.

-M