Keynote remote = kinda pointless?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by waywardsage, Jan 8, 2009.

1. waywardsage macrumors 6502

waywardsage

I work in the corporate AV world, so I have a ton of experience working with presenters, laptops, powerpoint, etc. And I was thinking of how pointless the keynote remote app will be fore the iPhone.

No SERIOUS presenter would use this. Seriously. You can't be in front of your board and be advancing your slids and then suddenly get a phone call that screws your whole presentation.

Far too much multi-taksing these days.

I'll admit. Its a cool toy app. But pretty much pointless. Remote presenters serve a very specific purpose. Advance the slides! No interuption, no excuses. Just advance the slides.

I supposed you could click it over to airplane mode. Would this solve the probelm of recieving a phone call?

2. Kinseek macrumors newbie

Seeing as the whole point of airplane mode is to turn off the mobile receiver/transmitter that make you able to use it as a phone - yes. You can still turn on wifi after turning on airplane mode.

3. spooky2k macrumors 6502a

You answered your own question. Airplane mode would solve all your qualms :) It's a great keynote remote and much better than those taht cost £4.99 on the app store!
    Dan x

4. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Nope, sorry, it needs to have a laser pointer built-in, to be a serious presenter device.

:D

5. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

why dont we worry about getting camera flash before we get a built in laser pointer haha

6. Masquerade macrumors 6502a

Masquerade

well i used my sony ericsson with bluetooth to do the same years ago. but iphone

1) is kinda bulky
    2) you have to setup your own adhoc wifi connection on a improvised scenario to access your portable
    3) no one when presenting something is actually "eyeing the remote for the slides"
    4) kinda strange to swipe instead click

"its stupid, stupid, stupid and costs 0.99€"

workarounds:
    1) no way. 2) pairing by bluetooth 3) no sense 4) no sense.

7. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

I do think this is kind of a strange app. How exactly is this an advantage over a regular remote? What if someone in the audience gets on your WiFi network and f's up your presentation?

And lastly, if people in an audience/movie theaters still get audible calls minutes after they were reminded to shut off/silence their phones, then I'm quite sure many people giving presentations are going to forget to change their phone to airplane mode before they start. I know if I'm about to give a presentation about my research to 200 people, turning my iPhone to airplane mode is going to be the last thing on my mind - that is, until I get a call and make an ass of myself.

Quick question, I haven't had time to watch the MWSF09 keynote yet. Was Phil using his iPhone for his presentation?

8. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

You can actually see your slides, including the next one coming up.

9. yudilks macrumors regular

Why don't you guys try Stage Hand

Stage Hand is like Keynote Remote but it has highlighter function.. You know like a spot light... I used it during one of my presentation, and I could hear the awe when I activate the spotlight... Real spotlight, not search spotlight..

10. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Wouldnt that require you being on an actual stage? I cant think of a board or meeting room that has a full lighting rig in in:p

I beleive this app is more for meetings and such.

11. Trip.Tucker Guest

Excellent point.

12. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I can see this being handy - for me, at least.

I give a lot of talks. Now, I can move about the front, have my speaker notes in front of me, and not have to be right in front of my laptop's screen to see my notes or the current build status of the slide behind me (without glancing back at the screen).

I suspect I wont forget to put my phone in airplane mode since I do that routinely anyway when giving a talk. And since the remote app requires a code to pair with Keynote (and since you can require a password on an ad-hoc wifi network anyway), I don't think anyone in my audience will be hacking into my Keynote presentation and messing with the slideshow.

I bought it last night, and while I've yet to use it live, I can already see it being useful for me. But so far it's sure fun to play with.

13. pavvento macrumors 6502

I think this will be relatively useful for some people, a total novelty item for others, and pointless garbage for the majority.

It's good to see that Apple is integrating the iPhone in with their software, but editing iWork information is a hell of a lot more useful than using the phone as a remote for keynote!

14. zentient macrumors newbie

Can't wait to try it!

Remote's usefulness probably depends on how you use it. In an education environment it should allow me to mix with the audience, making a session much more interactive. I can't wait to try it out for that alone. I also appreciate demonstrating how well the Apple platform just works.

15. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

Just wait until June!! :) Jokes.