Keynote Selling point

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by prechrchet, May 8, 2008.

1. prechrchet macrumors regular

I am Pastoring a church where we are in the process of purchasing and installing a projection system. This will allow us to use some sort of presentation software, such as Keynote, in worship services, Bible Studies, etc.

I would prefer to use Keynote instead of Power Point, but because it is "Windows" the chairman of the Board (who is also the Finance Chairman), seems to assume that we are going to use PP.

What are some selling points for using Keynote over PP? Specifically, what are some things that Keynote can do that PP cannot do? Any ideas?

Thanks

2. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Well if they've already chosen to use Windows then your stuck with powerpoint anyway, iWork is OS X only.

3. prechrchet thread starter macrumors regular

Not exactly

In addition to the projector, we are also going to be buying a computer. I have a Mac in my office, they use PCs in the Secretary/Treasurer's office.

I would like to be able to recommend a Mac for the projector system, but need some selling points. I am hoping that someone on here who has used both extensively can help me out.

In other words, no, we have NOT already chosen to use Windows.

4. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Keynote is easier to use, has better templates, and produces much nicer-looking presentations. It's also less expensive. Other than that, I can't think of a single good reason. ;)

5. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Pretty much. It's very easy to make good looking presentations in Keynote, the transitions are nice too.

6. Cameront9 macrumors 6502a

Cameront9

For a church concerned about budget, Keynote's price would be a major selling point to me. Only $79 as part of the iWork suite, and that includes Pages and Numbers.

I'm not sure what, if any, institutional pricing churches are eligible for from Microsoft, but Office is NOT cheap.

You could set this up on a Mac Mini as it is small and unobtrusive, and can be moved around very easily should the situation warrant it. I don't know what exactly your situation entails, but that would be what I would suggest.

Keynote can also export to powerpoint, though you lose some of the fancier transitions. Or even a quicktime video. So you could export to Quicktime, and then put the week's slideshows up on your church's website (if you wanted to) so parishioners could view them at home (without having to have Powerpoint or Keynote...just about everyone has Quicktime).