Keynote: text animation

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by thomasp, Jul 18, 2010.

1. thomasp macrumors 6502a

As a recent convert from PowerPoint to Keynote 09, I can't figure out how to do the following:

In PowerPoint, I'd often have text animations (eg bullet points would appear in a certain way when the mouse clicked) such that the bullet points would appear in groups. For example, the first two would appear together, then on the next mouse click, the next three would appear at the same time.

In Keynote it seems you can do this, but the bullets don't appear together, the second will only appear when the first has finished "appearing". Is it possible to get the bullets to appear in groups on a mouse click?

2. steveoc macrumors regular

You can make the bullets appear all at one by selecting the Build Tab on the Inspector then toggling the desired Delivery.

There is more information about bullet builds on pp. 116-117 in the Keynote 09 User Guide.

[​IMG]

3. thomasp thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the link.

However that does not answer my original question. As I said in my first post, I'd like the bullets to enter together in groups - so for example, the first two bullets, then the next three, etc. I can only find an option to allow them to come in one after the other, which is not what I desire.

4. steveoc macrumors regular

You would have to make hierarchal bullet groups to do that. Probably somewhat different from PPT, but nonetheless would allow groups of bullets to appear together.

5. thomasp thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the reply, that seems to work. It does seem a bit of a kerfuffle though to manually indent a bullet and then change the indent back to that of the "first-level" bullets...

I guess that's a +1 to PowerPoint (although first impressions still suggest to me that Keynote's superior!)

6. steveoc macrumors regular

Actually one could make another work around by using two bulleted text fields and aligning them so they appear as one with each text field set to "all at once." Click once the 1st set appears. Click again and the second set appears. In the Build Inspector, click on more options to make sure the 2 builds are in the correct order.