Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BerGaur

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Inside my head
I am thinking about getting Keynote. When I took a look at it and saw some of those cool affects you can do, like: pictures moving around so it looks like the slide never changed, and the way you can make 3D charts arive with animations, it just made me want it more. The one hesitation that I have is the fear that I buy it, use it, and those animations don't work once I am using it as a Power Point instead of a Keynote. Power Points are everywhere, and most of the time, the places where I will be using these don't have Macs or even ways for me to plug in an iPad and use it. The only way for me, most of the time, is email my presentation and open it on someone else's Windows computer.

So, will those cool affects be lost, or will they remain. Because if they will be lost then I will just continue to use Google Drive to make my presentions. Because the same old, same old presentaion animations won't impress anyone, so I might as well keep it simple if I can't use the most eye popping ones.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
1. You can export as video.

2. Lots of people use their own laptop or iOS device for presenations.

3. "Effect" not affect
Example: I am concerned I can be affected by the lack of Keynote effects in powerpoint.

I am thinking about getting Keynote. When I took a look at it and saw some of those cool affects you can do, like: pictures moving around so it looks like the slide never changed, and the way you can make 3D charts arive with animations, it just made me want it more. The one hesitation that I have is the fear that I buy it, use it, and those animations don't work once I am using it as a Power Point instead of a Keynote. Power Points are everywhere, and most of the time, the places where I will be using these don't have Macs or even ways for me to plug in an iPad and use it. The only way for me, most of the time, is email my presentation and open it on someone else's Windows computer.

So, will those cool affects be lost, or will they remain. Because if they will be lost then I will just continue to use Google Drive to make my presentions. Because the same old, same old presentaion animations won't impress anyone, so I might as well keep it simple if I can't use the most eye popping ones.

BerGaur

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Inside my head
1. You can export as video.

2. Lots of people use their own laptop or iOS device for presenations.

So, there are work arounds I can, and probably will normally need to use. Thank you.

And to clerify what I said earlier, I use presentations for collage. The collage that I go to provides these nifty podiums for the professors that allow them to pull the top of it apart, put in a computer of theirs, and put the top back together; in effect, building the podium around the computer. The projector owned and preinstalled into the ceilling by the collage, has no Bluetooth, or WiFi for it. The wires to plug into the computer are right there in the podium. There is no way to get to in ports for the projector. So, if the professor has a windows, which most do, I am using Power Point instead of Keynote. If one has a Mac then I am in luck. The only other option I can think of is buy a projector of my own, and set it up temporarily on a desk or table while I am doing my presentation. That is silly in more ways than one though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.