Keynote Viewer for PC?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by gazfocus, Feb 9, 2008.

1. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Just wondering if there's such a thing as a Keynote Viewer for PC's?

I have got iWork '08 and love Keynote far more than PowerPoint but my uni uses Windows PC's so it means I have to use PowerPoint for my lectures.

I know that if you save a Keynote presentation as a quicktime file, that works, but very few of the PC's have iTunes/quicktime installed.

2. TimJim macrumors 6502a

When your finished with your keynote, go to File>Export...>Powerpoint

3. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Thanks. Does that save all the effects though?

4. Karvel macrumors regular

Not really. If I do whizzy things in Keynote and then export to PowerPoint it never really works. And usually when I try to export to .ppt the files are HUGE.

5. cls macrumors newbie

In my experience, only Quicktime export shows animations and transitions correctly on Windows. Flash export gives you ok looking slides, but no transitions.

6. Mitou macrumors regular

7. reb124 macrumors newbie

Keynote Viewer

Here we are more than a year later and apparently nothing has changed. I created my first presentation in Keynote and can barely use it. I exported the presentation to QuickTime and saved to a flash drive in order to show the presentation on a PC lap top at the meeting. Some of the files did not transition correctly from Keynote to QuickTime.

I was then asked to e-mail the presentation and could not, because the Keynote file size of 4.6 MB mushroomed to 120 MB when exported to QuickTime and this file size could not be e-mailed.

So I had to make another version by exporting to PowerPoint. What a mess. The transitions and animation were chaotic when saved as .ppt I had to re-edit the whole thing. I might as well have made the original presentation in PowerPoint and saved the aggravation.

Why wouldn't Apple offer a free Keynote player? I would then make all of my presentations in Keynote.

8. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

That's why many of us simply stick with PowerPoint.

Until Apple makes a PC player I am sticking with PowerPoint.

9. tongteh macrumors 6502

the best solution is to hook your mac to the projector, and have everything the way it is intend for.. :D

10. kathmat macrumors member

Keynote Viewer for PC

Very true - I love Keynote and all the cool things that it can do, so the only way to really use it in this unenlightened world of PC users, is to have it on a lap tap as said and view it from there.

Re the file size though. I know that this is an old thread, but check out YouSendIt. Fabulous for sending large files, and which I have to do on a regular basis.

11. capewrt macrumors newbie

Keynote Useability / File size

New to Keynote (iWork '08). Making first slide show for (PC using) client. Tried exporting to PPT. Usual problems w/transitions, etc. Also would not see my fairly simple font structure (Goudy and Frutiger).

Anyhow just point on file size (photo-heavy): Size on Keynote: 87mb. Size export to Powerpoint: 57.2mb (before fixing problems). And export to Quicktime movie (worked very smoothly on Mac, haven't tried PC yet): 26.8mb.

I think Quicjktime is way to go. I'll have my client download QT if they don't have...

12. conqueror macrumors newbie

Now, this sucks! MS office has a mac version but there's no keynote for pc. Hate that.

13. iMAVERICKam macrumors member

The "PC player" is called QuickTime. Seriously, you can export it from Keynote and QuickTime will open in full screen on Windows when you open the file, it will look exactly as it did on your Mac (fonts, transitions, everything), and you can advance the slides with the mouse and arrow keys. I've been using this for years and the only problem is when you're using it on an ancient PC that will cause some transitions to be jerky.

14. kathmat macrumors member

PC Viewer for Keynote

But as said earlier in this thread, the Quicktime files are huge, and cannot easily be emailed. And - not everyone has a laptop. I for one have an iMac as I work primarily from home and since my work revolves around digital art I need a big screen and lots and lots of usb ports, and not all peripherals take well to hubs. They want to be hooked up to the main unit.

Many presentations that I work on also have to be sent to clients that are not local to where they can view the presentation via one's laptop anyway. I do the presentation and it is then presented by someone else along with a proposal in some far away place. so again - it is either Apple comes up with a FREE (if that does not send them into a fit) PC viewer, something that really works, or Keynote becomes a dud.

15. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

Foregoing the desire to have transitions and all the "pretty" elements of a keynote or PowerPoint presentation, you can always use PDF prints of the slides, and Adobe reader, or something similar.

I've always found the transitions and effects to draw my attention away from the material, but maybe that's your point...hmmm

16. kathmat macrumors member

Keynote Viewer for PC

Depends on the content. My "stuff" is all for special events, so the glitz and glamour adds a little extra pizazz. I love Keynote, but I have indeed stopped using it. Actually I find that of the three applications in iWorks, the only one that I do use on a consistent basis is Pages.

It is a pity though as they really are way cooler than Office.

17. nikcree macrumors newbie

18. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

I'm curious to know if the iPad having keynote has changed any of this issue. Being extremely portable, and able to connect to a projector (and with iPad2 anouncement HDMI), has anyone had luck with this?

19. kathmat macrumors member

Keynote Viewer for PC

I stopped looking a long time ago, but I somehow think that if Apple had come up with something such it would have appeared in their RSS Hot News feed. It really is a shame though, and this is why I did not bother to upgrade my version of iWorks when it became available - no point. You would think that someone would have considered this and that they are losing sales as a result.

20. KirkL macrumors 6502

Can't you just upload it to iWork.com and "play" the slideshow from there?

21. kathmat macrumors member

Keynote Viewer for PC

I did not even know that such a thing existed since I gave up on Keynote over a year ago. I will have to look into it next week - who knows? Hopefully...