Keynote, Widscreen TV, lack of Widescreen Resolution

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by poppe, Jun 15, 2007.

1. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

Hello,

I am very new to keynote and have a question for you all.

The only resolutions that most the keynote themes have are 1024 x 768 and 800 x 600, and when I hit the play keynote or view keynote it never goes full screen on my MBP 17".

So my question is this: If I go to do the presentation with my MBP connected to a 37" Visio TV using S video or component video will the keynote stretch to widescreen? Or will it look like a presentation surrounded by about 5 inches of black space on all sides?

The reason I ask is because I either need to not do a keynote and do a powerpoint or a physical presentation, but I need to know soon because I have to present Tuesday.

2. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

Embarrassingly I found the answer. In the preferences there is an option to upscale to the display. Don't know if that will fix the black boxes though...

3. farginicehole macrumors newbie

create a new presentation, choose a theme in a default resolution, and once you are on the first slide open the inspector, click the slide tab (furthest left)and choose custom slide size on the drop down. set it to what you want and subsequent slides will be this size as well.

i wouldn't recommend doing this on an exisiting presentation though because keynote will try to scale everything on the page and usually won't get it right. its better to create a new one and copy/paste from the old.

hope this helps

4. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

Ok I tried that, but all it did was add white rectangles on the side where black used to be... I' don't know how to screen capture with out using the mouse.

5. farginicehole macrumors newbie

I'm going to guess you aren't using Keynote 3.0.

Some previous version's themes didn't support widescreen - probably the easiest thing to do is to create a box shape the size of your slide, use the inspector to color it however you want, move it all the way to the back and lock it into place (under Arrange). You'll have to copy it to each slide, but at least you'll have a continuous background.

Anything you want can be your background in this way

6. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

How do I get keynote 3.0. I have a MBP 17" C2D that I got sometime in late November/early December. I didn't know they released a new version of iWork...

EDIT: Oh oh is it because I am running the trail version right now? That is probably why. I haven't decided if I'll buy it yet as I wanted to give it a spin.