Keynote with lots of video

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by juanlacueva, Apr 19, 2011.

1. juanlacueva macrumors newbie

Hi everyone. I need to make a keynote in which every slide is a video.

The speaker will be reading some a text and I have to manually go through the slides as the speaker reads. Each slide/video is about some part of the text.

I can't make it a whole video because the speaker will be facing the public with the video on his back and as the video is related to what he is reading, it would eventually get dis-synchronized.

My idea was to divide the text by concepts and make a small video for each one. So I have about 30 videos of about 10 seconds each and each one in a slide.

The idea works pretty well, as the speakers go from concept to concept I go from slide to slide even if the video isn't over (I make the a bit longer than needed jut in case the speaker goes slower) and so the timing is always perfect.

What's the problem? The videos are in a pretty good quality (they have to stay like that) and so every time I go from on slide to the other there's a small lapse in which the first frame of the video is still until the actually starts playing it. It's not a Keynote slide configuration, its just the delay it takes the Mac to read the video. You don't notice it much if it's only one video, but if you have this delay every 7/10 seconds is so uncool.

I'm trying this on the last white plastic iMac (2Ghz and 3GB RAM). I will try on a newer MacBook but I think the same will happen.

What do you suggest I could do to go smoother between slides. I though making a whole video with markers/chapters so the Mac reads only one file and it only has to go further in timeline.

I put several of this short clips into a single video and if I click in the timeline to go to the next clip it goes smoothly, but how can I mark the begining of each clip so I can press the next key on the keyboard or the Apple Remote and the video goes exactly to the part the next clip starts?

Does .mov support chapters? How do I mark them?

This is for a NGO project so I have to find a solution with which I already have and can't spend any more money.

Regards

2. nastebu macrumors 6502

Set the keynote up as you have, and then export the whole thing as a Quicktime file with the "advance on mouse click" option set. (under the "share" menu.) That way there will be no pauses as Keynote chokes on the large files.

3. juanlacueva thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot natebu

I'll give it a try but now that you mentioned, it makes perfect sense. I completly forgot I could export in Quicktime and still have manual advance. That's a lifesaver.

Thanks again. Happy easter
    Reagards

4. juanlacueva thread starter macrumors newbie

HELP!

I made my whole keynote but now I have a huge issue... I can't control the movie slides when opened either in Quicktime 7 Pro or Quicktime X

Once a movie finishes it stops and I can go to the next one but I can go to the next one while the movie is still playing

5. juanlacueva thread starter macrumors newbie

For anyone with the same issue this is how I made it.

I recommend using iMovie since Keynote's .mov its like a container, not a single video. And I couldn't find a way to FF o RW the slided.

What I made was a big movie and I placed markers in iMovie to get chapters into the .mov. If you open it in Quicktime, you can go to a specific chapter with a dropdown but not make a presentation. You can import the movie to iTunes and when playing you can press CMD + **** + <left/right arrow> and go to the next or previous chapter and works like a charm