Keynote won't play .mov now

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by macworksgreat, Mar 20, 2009.

1. macworksgreat macrumors member

macworksgreat

Hmmm

I had put together a Keynote presentation a month or two ago on my MacBook and had added a .mov file so that it automatically played the video when clicking to that page. Now for some reason it won't even recognize it. It just stopped playing ...and the funny thing is when I transfer it over to my MacMini (Tiger) it plays fine. I don't know if there was some crazy update on the MacBook that it now refuses to recognize the file or what...It is just frustrating because a month ago or less it was working great!:confused:

PS It won't play on the QuickTime Player either when I double click the .mov file on my MacBook.

George

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Sounds like a missing codec to me - does QuickTime Player tell you that it needs additional plugins to display this file? If so - there's your problem.

3. STXSTEVE macrumors member

STXSTEVE

If is a missing video format go to perian.org and download their tool it will install many of the additional QuickTime formats for you in one swoop.

4. RemarkabLee macrumors 6502a

Are you certain the .mov file is actually a QuickTime file?

In terminal, type:

$ file <pathname of the .mov file>

i.e.

$ file mysteryfile.mov

If its really a MOV file, it would say something like:

...mysteryfile.mov: ISO Media, Apple QuickTime movie

if its a WMV file for example with a MOV extension by mistake:

...mysteryfile.mov: Microsoft ASF - in which case, you should rename the files extension and download Perian or Flip4Mac to play it/embed it.