Keynotes presentation HELP

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by last2findout, Dec 29, 2011.

1. last2findout macrumors member

just putting together a presentation i want to send to some one but how do i get the keynotes presentation just to play once they click on file and not launch keynotes? It needs to also work on PC and MAC

2. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Can't be done, as far as I know. You can look at each slide using Quicklook, but it doesn't play the presentation. Do I take it that the other person doesn't have Keynote?

If you want someone to see it on a PC, you'll have to export from Keynote as a Powerpoint presentation. There is not a Keynote viewer for Windows.

3. last2findout thread starter macrumors member

Thanks,
    what program could i use if i wanted to product a presentation that would be played once opened?

4. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

You can set your Keynote presentation so that it plays automatically when the file is double clicked, if that is what you want. Open the Inspector and the option is in the Document(first) tab.

5. last2findout thread starter macrumors member

many thanks will that work even when i export to Power Point

6. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

No idea I'm afraid. When you export to Powerpoint and play it on a Windows PC, it's quite possible that your builds and transitions won't work either, unless the PC's Powerpoint has the same ones. Plus, if you've used fonts that are on your Mac that aren't on the PC, they won't work either.

7. saberahul macrumors 68040

I would suggest recording your presentation such that it is a movie. You mentioned you want the person to click only once, in this case they just need to open the movie and that is all. Make it into a format such that it is recognizable on Windows and Mac and you should be good to go.
    I know that Keynote has a Record Presentation feature but do not know how that works as I have never used it. You can, however, use Quicktime Player to do a screen recording of your presentation.
    If you do not want to do this, the suggestions above mine are the ideal way to do it. And yes, many of your transitions and builds will not work the same in PowerPoint as they will in Keynote.

8. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

For that, you can export from Keynote as a QuickTime movie.

9. Papanate macrumors regular

Export it as a PDF if you don't have builds and other effects. That will play on all platforms when clicked. But not as a show.

You could follow Mr. Braine's suggestion but that will play only on a
    Keynote equipped Mac when clicked.

Export as a Power Point after you've ensured the font's and effects are compatible. Then open it in PPT and save it as a PPT show. That one will play on all platforms as a show when clicked.

Or as was suggested export it as a QuickTime movie and it will also play on all platforms when clicked.

10. GlaiveLady macrumors newbie

Keynote Presentations to Play on PC w/o Mac to Convert File from .key to .mov

Anyone here know how I could get a Keynote presentation off my iPad without using a Mac (since I don't have one) onto a PC so I can do a presentation for work using their projector (to save me from having to buy a $400 projector for my iPad, which I can't afford)?

- .ppt shifts objects on each slide and loses transitions
    - .pdf preserves each slide as they would appear but loses all transitions

Already installed QuickTime on my PC. Just need to bridge the gap there.

Alternative would be if anyone could recommend a cable that would allow me to hook my iPad to the work projector. I don't have the make and model of their projector, but from what I recall, it is pretty simplistic and ancient, so chances are it wouldn't have any special ports that would be found on newer devices.

11. franmatt80 macrumors 6502a

Your best bet is to pick up the iPad VGA connector and a VGA cable (have never come across a projector that didn't use VGA connection, including the more accident versions). I often play Keynotes straight from my iPad this way.

Otherwise it's a case of transferring it via email or WebDav to the work PC And going through to repair the transitions....depends on how many slides you need to fix I guess.

12. GlaiveLady macrumors newbie

Okay, thanks. Will try ... adapter + cable? Good thing I didn't get rid of these old compy monitor cables when the more recent models traded up for HDMI. Didn't think I'd have a use for them. (Score one more for pack rats.) Adapter seems a bit expensive for its limited uses, but I suppose that's what I get for getting Keynote and not knowing what questions to ask at the time before encountering such issues. (Seems like Apple gets me every time, doh!)

(100 slides, multiple transitions per slide. Was tough enough the first time around on the iPad, but at least it was fun. Second time around on Power Point wouldn't be as fun, I'd anticipate.)