Keypad challenges? Arrow key? Del? Autocorrect? Cap lock?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by lokerd, May 7, 2010.

1. lokerd macrumors 6502a

lokerd

Is there any venue to BEG a developer to add some arrow keys to the standard keyboard. And also, while they are at it, it would be great if we could get a forward delete key.

Is there any chance that somebody could do this?

Also, how can the autocorrect be denied in mid sentence? Iow, I am typing, and ac insist on a correction...how do you prevent it right then from correcting it? I know it can be turned off via settings...and even sbsetting. But is there an even more dynamic way?

Finally, even though I have cap lock turned on, I can't seem to figure it out. ????

Thanks!

2. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

3. iRabbit macrumors 6502

Caps lock... Double tap quick on the caps button.

If you don't want to auto-correct a word, at the end of the word just hit backspace once (the last letter of the word) and when you retype that letter it won't auto correct the word.

Arrows keys are unneeded... If you need to correct a word in the middle of the sentence just Tap and hold on that word... A little magnifier will come up (to help you move the cursor around) and when you release your finger a little menu will come up... You can hit "select" and then just type over the word, or you can hit replace and see suggestions for alternative words. It takes getting used to, but once you start doing it enough you'll get better at putting the cursor where you want and selecting words.

4. Dillenger macrumors 6502a

Dillenger

Now that is great info, thanks!

5. lokerd thread starter macrumors 6502a

lokerd

Thanks Dan...I didn't think about the little 'x'...it works great. I had tried the backspace...but it seems to mess up depending on when I hit and I end up with a challenge. Also, sometimes, I want the autocorrect to kick in...but then I get a space at the end of the sentence when in stead I wanted a period. That is when I need an arrow key.

I do know how to use the pop up. But that is not always convenient. Like right now. I am, hold the ipad in portrait mode...with my pinky fingers curled under the pad as support and I am typing with only my thumbs. It is actually quite fast. Except, to do the little magnifier, I have to drop the pad down to my chest...and that is assuming I am lying down. If I am, standing, I have to switch the pad to one hand. Now, if I am sitting, and I have the pad on my knee or lap, or on a table, that is different.

However...with the magnifier I feel pretty experienced with it but still find it a PITA. In fact sometimes I find it easier to move the cursor to a completely different place then back again rather than to the try to move it over one character.

I guess it is basically the difference between those who are touch typist in using an arrow key rather taking ones hands off the keyboard to grab the mouse to right click.

As far as the cap lock... I knew the double tap. But i keeping into a situation that the 2x tap doesn't work. Can't figure out when it is messing up on me. I thought it was at the beginning of a sentence...but I can't replicate it.

6. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

Make sure caps lock is turned on in Settings > General > Enable Caps Lock, then double tab. This should work!

7. LadyHoneyBabe macrumors 6502

Yep, figured this one out not too long ago. :D

8. iRabbit macrumors 6502

If you hit the space bar a 2nd time it will automatically add the period. :)

9. lokerd thread starter macrumors 6502a

lokerd

STILL need an arrow key!!!!!

A year later, and I am still dying for an arrow key.

Is it possible? If I buy the developer kit, can I learn to program it?

I know some people don't see the value of the arrow key, but I type enough on the iPad (and iPhone), that I am just about ready to switch to something with Android just to get the freaking arrow key!!!!!

Is there anyway to get an iPad keyboard to be modified? I know of one note taking app that has an arrow key, so it MUST be possible. But, it would have to take over the email keyboard for it to be useful.

Anybody????

10. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Clearly you are not old enough to remember the Macintosh Plus computer. Even then, users were crying for Apple to include arrow keys, to which they would reply, "what do you think that mouse-thing is for?"

Holding the word is fine, but if you want to target an exact position, in this 9pt font, your release better be darn accurate to get the insert point to line up properly. Adding arrow keys would make some things faster for those of us that know how to use them. Even just as an option that experts like you do not ever need to turn on.

11. lokerd thread starter macrumors 6502a

lokerd

well, I owned one, just too old to remember.

Hmmm. Well, that is frustrating.

I did get some feedback from a developer of 5row keyboard:

"Arrow keys needs a plugin which is not support iOS 4 now"

I think the biggest problem is some people like iRabbit don't think it is needed which is just crazy!

12. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

Yup, the developer you talked with is correct.

It isn't possible to modify the stock keyboard across all Apps with an un-jailbroken iPad. You can make custom keyboards for individual Apps, and some of the word processor apps take advantage of this and supply accessory keys like arrows, esc, del, etc.

I generally don't bother with jail breaking, but you might do some searches to see if anyone wrote a special "keyboard" hack. I think I remember one that added a row of number keys...

You can get Arrow key and delete key support in almost all Apps with a Bluetooth keyboard. I use one often, it works great.

13. thesiren macrumors 6502a

thesiren

why don't you just invest in a Bluetooth keyboard if you need arrow keys so badly?

Also, it's a little difficult to understand that you've had an iPhone prior to getting the iPad and yet do not know that double tapping space gets you a period :confused: you do know that there are iPad and iPhone manuals available for FREE in the iBooks store, right? I'd suggest downloading them both and getting familiar with your devices fully before considering buying a developer kit and attempting to program...

14. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    The desire for arrow keys is pretty common from people who do a lot of writing and/or have large fingers.

I noticed that HTC has added arrow keys to their recent stock Android keyboards for the Incredible 2 phone and Flyer tablet. Very useful at times.

15. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

+10000s on the arrow keys. I don't HAVE to have them, but typing would be sooo much easier and quicker with them.

You're typing a message, and realise you made a mistake (or auto-correct replaced a word it shouldn't have) further up along the text, then you can either:

- Tap and hold in the input box, wait for the magnifying glass to appear.
    - Move to the top, and hope the field scrolls upwards (it often doesn't for me!)
    - Try to scroll to the right position, moving your finger out of the way so you can see what you're doing.
    - If you miss the spot, tap and hold again, wait for the magnifying glass to come up again...

or

- Hit the 'up' arrow a few times to go up a few lines, then left/right a few times. Get it wrong, and just tap the arrow to correct it.

It would be much much faster and more efficient (for me at least).

16. ethics101 macrumors regular

I want arrow keys as well. When you're dealing with txt files, you can't zoom in.

17. thesiren macrumors 6502a

thesiren

Two-finger scroll. Moves fields up or down.

18. Sn0wball, Jul 18, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2011

Sn0wball macrumors regular

Sometimes I scream with frustration for arrow keys. It's so fiddly.

I also miss a CTRL (Option) button (for alt codes, extra symbols, et al).

And deselecting that bloody auto word correct feature... you seen how small that "x" is?!

19. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

You do not actually have to hit that tiny "x", just touch anywhere on the autocompletion box.