KeyRemap4MacBook, SteerMouse, etc.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by chaseychasem, Sep 2, 2012.

1. chaseychasem macrumors regular

Would I have any reason to avoid peripheral override software such as KeyRemap4MacBook or SteerMouse? Has either been known to cause stability issues of any sort in OS X?

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Not in general, although there can be conflicts with other software at times. Just definitely only use one such product at a time to minimize conflicts.

I've used KeyRemap4MacBook myself, as well as DoubleCommand. Both seemed to work well, except that DoubleCommand stopped working when I upgraded to Mountain Lion. Not sure if it's been updated now.

jW

3. chaseychasem thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your response. I assume there aren't likely to be conflicts between KeyRemap4MacBook and SteerMouse, given that they affect different peripherals? I'm trying to optimize my clamshelled MBP setup with a Filco keyboard and Logitech mouse, which will of course require customization, but I also don't want a crash-ridden debacle.

4. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Dunno for sure, but I suspect you're right. If not, you know what to uninstall to find out if it's causing problems.

jW