Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
Just an observation, the keys on this version are more matte than previous MacBooks, thus making them more quick to show grease\smudges, which is a bit annoying. Just an observation.

What do you use to clean your keyboard?

Cvx5832

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2014
Windex and a terry towel. This keyboard has been the easiest to clean yet.

The oils don't bother me however.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
Windex and a terry towel. This keyboard has been the easiest to clean yet.

The oils don't bother me however.

Yeah seems like it'd be easier to clean since it's flatter, bigger keys, and as they're rubbed they're not flapping all over the place. So windex (alcohol\amonia) is safe for the keys?

Cvx5832

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2014
Yeah seems like it'd be easier to clean since it's flatter, bigger keys, and as they're rubbed they're not flapping all over the place. So windex (alcohol\amonia) is safe for the keys?

I used it last night it didn't seem to be an issue. I also use Simple Green or that organic Arm & Hammer stuff that my wife keeps under the sink.

Wait for input from other users. In my case however neither this MacBook nor the rMBP 13 it replaced had any problems with it.

enduser99

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2015
I agree with OP. keyboard on rMB felt much greasier than my MBA. Somehow I have a feeling it will get better as the texture on the key surface wears off.

fatefulwhisper

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2008
Just an observation, the keys on this version are more matte than previous MacBooks, thus making them more quick to show grease\smudges, which is a bit annoying. Just an observation.

What do you use to clean your keyboard?

Been doing this for years with my previous MacBook Air's and Pro's I've owned in the past:

http://apple.stackexchange.com/ques...rd-grease-from-a-macbook-airs-normal-keyboard

Basically, 3 parts rubbing alcohol and 7 parts water. Diluting the alcohol in water helps to decrease the "harshness" of it with regards to contact on your skin after cleaning. In terms of the keyboard itself, it won't damage anything, and helps to dissolve the grease. You can read the link above for more info.

I believe a lot of commercial keyboard cleaners use the same or similar solution above, so you can DIY your own solution for a fraction of the cost.

feard

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2011
These issues are starting to pile up. I have high expectations for this Macbook and my keyboard is covered in smudges too. Never had this problem before or noticed it this bad.

gglockner

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2007
Bellevue, WA
Yes, I noticed finger grease on the keyboard even after a few minutes with the new MacBook. I never use water on any electronics, including water-based cleaners. The only thing I use is rubbing alcohol, in the highest grade I can find (generally 93%).

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
Been doing this for years with my previous MacBook Air's and Pro's I've owned in the past:

http://apple.stackexchange.com/ques...rd-grease-from-a-macbook-airs-normal-keyboard

Basically, 3 parts rubbing alcohol and 7 parts water. Diluting the alcohol in water helps to decrease the "harshness" of it with regards to contact on your skin after cleaning. In terms of the keyboard itself, it won't damage anything, and helps to dissolve the grease. You can read the link above for more info.

I believe a lot of commercial keyboard cleaners use the same or similar solution above, so you can DIY your own solution for a fraction of the cost.

Nice suggestion, I will try. Thanks!

GiantCow

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2015
Any concern with the actual key label being rubbed off over time when using rubbing alcohol to clean it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.