Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tasmi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2011
Hi.

First let me say that the keyboard is not wet.

Since a lot of months ago, these keys don't work when I'm using the battery (with or without the battery charger connected), but if I remove the battery and use the computer connected to the charger, all the keys work fine.

The big problem is that since yesterday these keys no longer work with or without the battery.

I opened the computer and checked that the keyboard is correctly connected to the motherboard, and the cable connection below the trackpad seems to be fine.

The really strange thing is that until now the keyboard worked fine without battery.

My upper case model is the one with silver cable.

Please, can anyone tell me something to do in order of trying to repair the keyboard without having to buy a new one?

Thanks!!

logana

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
Scotland
Sounds like the silver ribbon cable is damaged - the battery might be starting to swell up and crushing the ribbon cable....

If you are confident enough to remove the topcase (since you have done it) then I would suggest replacing the ribbon cable (usually lots on eBay.com).

Sometimes certain keys just stop working - nothing to do with liquid damage or the ribbon cable - so you may be lucky (or not) changing the cable.

tasmi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2011
Thanks logana for the raply.

The cable seems to be fine, but I'll see it in more detail.I'll try to get another cable to test it.

logana

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
Scotland
Is the battery swollen up ?

The cables never look broken (?) they jus don't work - 50/50 it is the cable.

Is the topcase not cracked along the front edges - maybe see if the Apple Store will replace.

tasmi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2011
Hi.

The battery looks perfect, and the original upper case has been replaced some years ago (one year before the key problems) because of the broken front edges.

tasmi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2011
Yesterday night, the keys began to work again without the battery (the problem still exists if I'm using the battery).

I'll try to reset the SMC to test if there is a strange problem with the battery.

tasmi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2011
Hi again.

Today I've reset the SMC but the problem still persists, but finally I've found the problem: the cable or the connector behind the battery.

The moment you touch the cable, the keys stop working.

I'll try to reconnect the cable, but probably it's damaged so I'll buy another one.

Does anyone know a store that deliveries to Spain?

Thanks!

tasmi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2011
Hi logana.

The battery looks perfect, I'll try to take a photo and upload here.

Thanks for the ebay link, I'll contact the seller and get a new cable. My current cable seems to be a bit wrinkled in some parts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.