Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 1, 2009
hi guys - all of a sudden the left control, alt and I keys are no longer working on my macbook. To my knowledge the computer has not gotten wet.

I have ruled out software problems and the other common problems listed on apple's support page but still no luck. (turn off slow keys, make sure not accessibility options are interfering etc)

When i bring up the virtual keyboard these keys don't appear to be working at all.

I have read that a shorted keyboard, even if it's just a few keys, would require an upper case assembly which is expensive. as this is an aging macbook i'm not sure i want to go that route if at all possible.

An external wired keyboard works fine.

Any ideas? Time to visit the fruitstand?
thanks!

madmacfan

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2012
London, United Kingdom
hi guys - all of a sudden the left control, alt and I keys are no longer working on my macbook. To my knowledge the computer has not gotten wet.

I have ruled out software problems and the other common problems listed on apple's support page but still no luck. (turn off slow keys, make sure not accessibility options are interfering etc)

When i bring up the virtual keyboard these keys don't appear to be working at all.

I have read that a shorted keyboard, even if it's just a few keys, would require an upper case assembly which is expensive. as this is an aging macbook i'm not sure i want to go that route if at all possible.

An external wired keyboard works fine.

Any ideas? Time to visit the fruitstand?
thanks!

Have you tried a SMC reset

madmacfan

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2012
London, United Kingdom

What version of White Macbook have you got, i.e is it a non unibody pre 2009 or unibody late 2009 or mid 2010 MB and which version of OSX are you running on that mac.

Are you able to boot into safe mode?

Have you checked that the mouse keys option in the accessibility or universal access pref pane in system preferences is not ticked. and failing that have you done a apple hardware test.

There is also a terminal command script you can try if all else fails, this thread over on the apple support froums may be of some help https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3363938?start=0&tstart=0

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 1, 2009
What version of White Macbook have you got, i.e is it a non unibody pre 2009 or unibody late 2009 or mid 2010 MB and which version of OSX are you running on that mac.

Are you able to boot into safe mode?

Have you checked that the mouse keys option in the accessibility or universal access pref pane in system preferences is not ticked. and failing that have you done a apple hardware test.

There is also a terminal command script you can try if all else fails, this thread over on the apple support froums may be of some help https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3363938?start=0&tstart=0

Sorry, it's a 2008 aluminum mb running ml. I will try the script you mentioned!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.